Honored Contributor

Re: Judge Orders Both Twins To Pay Child Support When Neither Admits Paternity

That's an absolutely awful decision because it penalizes the man who did not father the child.  Granted, it is Brazil and not the US.  The child still will never know who her father is unless the real father comes forward.  Which I'm sure with double the cash at stake, the mother surely does not want that!

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's an absolutely awful decision because it penalizes the man who did not father the child.  Granted, it is Brazil and not the US.  The child still will never know who her father is unless the real father comes forward.  Which I'm sure with double the cash at stake, the mother surely does not want that!

The twin that is not the father simply had to tell the judge it was his brother not him and he would not be on the hook for support along with his brother.  Instead he decided to stand mute in hopes the father would get off without having to pay support.

IMO it was a reasonable decision by the judge because the only other choice was to let both brothers off the hook because the father could not be identified leaving the child with no support.

I should add that there is  very expensive, very sophisticated DNA sequencing which would also require the child to be sequenced that could determine which twin was the father.  The procedure is not readily available and who knows if Brazilian courts recognize it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp  you would be correct but I can't think what that would have to do with it.  I must be missing something.

Honored Contributor

I guess this would be a problem if you date or marry an identical twin - you'd never be quite sure which one you got.  But there would probably be personality differences.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

This fling, was it a one time encounter or multiple encounters?

If one time months ago, the man may not remember her, especially if he's popular.

If multiple encounters, both twins may have been involved.

How is it this women had a fling with a man and didn't bother to get his name?

@occasionalrain   What now???  If she filed for child support she had to know his name.  Whether she knew about the other twin is not important.  These two clowns admitted to switching identities to "fool" woman so that they couldn't be caught-as we see in this case.

Not only are they stupid, they are morally corrupt.

"Especially if he is popular?"  Not even going to touch that one.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

This is nothing new.  Years ago, I saw the same thing on Maury.  If the twins are identical, they have the same DNA.  Period.  

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  It doesn't matter if they switched identities, the one named is the one who should pay. The brothers can sort it out between themselves, perhaps dividing the award. Unfair of the judge to award both the full amount rather than each paying half. Unfair that she should get double.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Cakers3  It doesn't matter if they switched identities, the one named is the one who should pay. The brothers can sort it out between themselves, perhaps dividing the award. Unfair of the judge to award both the full amount rather than each paying half. Unfair that she should get double.

@occasionalrain   I disagree.  The brothers both tried to get out of this without having to pay a dime.

If she only slept with one, he should man up, step up to the plate, and pay.

If she slept with both, and the DNA cannot 100% determine which one is the father, then both are liable, imo.

It's an odd case because of the twin issue; but I agree with the judge.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Those "men" admitted to switching identities for sexual encounters.  That way no woman could positively identify either one.

I cannot believe that people are blaming this woman.

Since the DNA was inconclusive, these two jokers got bit in their miserable sneaky arses.  Good for the judge.

@Cakers3   Havn't any of them heard of birth control?  There are several methods and if those dudes make a habit of flinging, they better begin using it or they could find themselves paying more child support down the line.  I wonder why the woman wasn't using birth control, maybe she wanted a baby.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Those "men" admitted to switching identities for sexual encounters.  That way no woman could positively identify either one.

Since the DNA was inconclusive, these two jokers got bit in their miserable sneaky arses.  Good for the judge.

@Cakers3   Havn't any of them heard of birth control?  There are several methods and if those dudes make a habit of flinging, they better begin using it or they could find themselves paying more child support down the line.  I wonder why the woman wasn't using birth control, maybe she wanted a baby.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@mousiegirl   Maybe her birth control failed.  It does happen. 

Since we don't know how ignorant or educated anyone in this situation is about birth control, I cannot say anything more.

Sometimes things happen.