Respected Contributor

hmmm,  my mother is the reason my birthdays were often joyless.  She's still alive and yea, still  makes  a point of barely making an effort to 'birthday' anything regarding me.  It's okay,  I prefer it that way,  you can get used to anything I guess.  Regarding your  joyless birthday,  I'm sorry for the loss of your mom and hope you can find some sort of joy in your everyday, birthday or not.  God Bless and Happy Birthday. 

Respected Contributor

May the love you and your mother shared be of comfort to you. The loss is too raw for you to see beyond the pain right now. Some wounds are too grievous to heal completely,  but I can assure you the sharp pain does dull with the passage of time.

It sounds as though your mother was a true treasure and loved you very much. I hope there is someone you can talk to or better be with to share your day.

Bless you.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Jordan2,

I told my daughters the other day, no one tells us how hard it will be to lose your mother. We talk about it often. It is so unbelivable that she is not here with us like they were all our lives.

Then it makes me think of all our own passing from this life. How could we not think of this? So it can be many sad times.

I'm still between crying all of a sudden at something that reminds me of her in good or times of her suffering.

I'm still trying to "feel" her in heaven and wherever she is. And to try to feel with all my heart that she is "here" with me. Maybe not physically but with all her love and spirit.

And I hope my children feel the same when I'm not here on earth too.

It really makes us feel like there are 2 lives-those here and those in heaven or wherever we believe.And I want so much to find her.Sometimes I do-a sign or something from esp nature.

My mother did not believe in any sort of heaven or afterlife but I still feel like she is there!

I think she must be with you. Maybe encouraged you to write about her and to share your sorrow with others, just thinking about her,

even though we may not meet in person. 

This made me cry...such lovely sentiment and so beautifully written. I epecially loved "And I want so much to find her".  I believe in signs from nature that we are being watched and loved from afar. Your mother will always be with you - it is clear she is already residing in your heart. 

Trusted Contributor

So sorry, you never stop missing your Mom but I'm sure she would want you to have a nice birthday.  Happy Birthday

Jessa
Honored Contributor

@DSD2,

Thank you 🕊️💓

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I am sorry for your loss but know that your mom is looking down from heaven and wishing you well.  My momma has been gone for 6 years and we would often celebrate our birthdays together as they were only 12 days apart.  I miss my momma amd the laughs and homemade coconut cakes (she used fresh and  tapped the holes in the coconut) just for me!  There is NO love like a mothers love but I know she would want you to honor her love in however you choose to celebrate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Joyless Birthday

[ Edited ]

@WeezieWeeze   Welcome to the boards. 

@Jordan2   Happy Birthday and enjoy your day like your Mom would want you to. Yes, it's sad for you, but reaching out here to friends is a way to connect and discussing it will help a lot.

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday🎂 @Jordan2   How wonderful that you experienced a great relationship with your mom....of course you would be missing your mom.  Unconditional love is a treasure.  Enjoy your trip down memory lane when your mom shared your special day. You might want to do something special to honor her on your birthday.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624   That's so wonderful they came to your house with a cake! What a pick me up!

Trusted Contributor

I miss my mom too, always, but in a special way on my birthday.  I think it's because at a certain point, as I got older and my mother was still around, I realized that my birthday actually had a deeper and more special meaning to her, in terms of memories, than it had to me.

Sure, my birthday always marked a milestone for me to indicate where I was in years along this road of life.

But to my mother, it had actual memories, of a special kind.  I was her first child, and she would talk about what it was like when I was born, things that happened, how she felt as a first time mother.

It made me realize that our birthdays are actually more special for our mothers than they are for us.  Do we remember the day we were born?  No.  But our moms sure do.