Respected Contributor

Re: Joy Miracle Clean- hazardous?

I received two sets of these yesterday, needless to say, it went back today.  At least CS will not be charging for the return shipping.  Never again,  I can buy natural, cruelty free, cleaners in my supermarket that are safe and don't stink!

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Tara811 wrote:
They are waived return shipping and handling. I ordered the orange made me deathly I’ll. Hsn has pulled the product from their website

@sunshine45 found it.  Thanks for finding the product.  I don't know why they'd pull it due to a bad smell.  It makes no sense.  The smell is just more medicinal than orange, but it smells clean.

@winamac1

The number of complaints (and the scents complained about) make it seem more than just “I don’t like the scent” so HSN is looking into it. Maybe some batches got spoiled or some such thing. They will get to the bottom of it. 

Mine smells fine, too. 

The nastiness of many of the complaints I’ve read says more about the person complaining than the product or company they are complaining about. 

Honored Contributor

I think the only people who would have bought this are people that like Joy and her products in general.  I would never have thought about buying this.  I think the people who did buy it expected to like it and were surprised they disliked it as much as they did.  I think the reviews are honest.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Reading many of the comments here and at HSN I'm still confused as to what people were expecting.

Granted, it does smell antiseptic, like a good disinfectant.  That is how I want a germicide to smell.  I appreciate that smell when I'm cleaning.  The "orange blossom" scent  is very subtle, but I have found that products that over do the artificial lemon and orange grove aromas really are not very good cleaners.

I just don't think I would call an unpleasant odor toxic or hazardous, and I stand by my earlier contention that the drama is overdone.  Again, I urge you not to imbibe it, in which case the toxic appellation may be correct.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager

Strong odors can indeed be detrimental to people, such as my young granddaughter, who  was diagnosed when she was younger as having a "reactive airway"  condition--not asthma but her lungs don't tolerate strong smells well.  She coughs a lot when exposed to them.

When I went out to the garage to retrieve the shipping carton that Joy's cleaning materials came in, so I could return the product, the box  itself smelled strongly--- after sitting outside of the house for two days.

I can't imagine storing those bottles under the sinks in my kitchen and bathrooms and having to smell them every time I enter the room.  

Some people have claimed here that "the odor dissipates".  I don't believe it dissipates well  at all...........people simply get accustomed to smells, and more power to them if they  can live with it.  People can't smell their own body odors, either, because they get used to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My housekeepers are here, and I noticed a horrible smell in my kitchen.  I went in there, and the Joy Miracle Clean bottle is sitting on the counter.  I didn't say anything but will wait and see how long the smell lasts after they leave.  I will probably ask them not to use it next time.  The smell is really awful!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

I also recieved the orange fragrance and it is over powering smell.  It does last more than a day before it goes away.  Though I can not stand the smell because it is just so awful I do like the cleaning power of the product.  I cleanded my couch and it got stains out that another cleaning product I got from HSN did not remove.  I just couldn't sit on my couch for a day till the smell went away.  I also cleaned other areas of the house with it and it did a good job there as well.  I like all the cleaning cloths that came with it as well.  So I am keeping this order and just ignoring the smell, but will cancel my autoship and hope they do something to improve the awful odor of the product! 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Reading many of the comments here and at HSN I'm still confused as to what people were expecting.

Granted, it does smell antiseptic, like a good disinfectant.  That is how I want a germicide to smell.  I appreciate that smell when I'm cleaning.  The "orange blossom" scent  is very subtle, but I have found that products that over do the artificial lemon and orange grove aromas really are not very good cleaners.

I just don't think I would call an unpleasant odor toxic or hazardous, and I stand by my earlier contention that the drama is overdone.  Again, I urge you not to imbibe it, in which case the toxic appellation may be correct.

If it's so safe, why did HSN remove it from their products and are allowing customers to return for free?  There's a HUGE problem here.  

New Contributor

Having already posted my horrible experience with this product, which was fraudulently advertised in many ways, it does not clean as well as vinegar and water, the smell is horribly disgusting and dangerous to health, I felt I must comment on a bloggers comment.  One blogger state "it is 'natural' how can it be unhealthy'...well, I can only hope this person does not decide to have some 'hemlock' tea, multiple fruits and berries, and many types of mushrooms, WHICH ARE ALL 'NATURAL' BUT DEADLY!!!  DON'T DECIDE TO ROAST 'HORSE CHESTNUTS THIS CHRISTMAS.  We all see people on TV and begin to 'trust' them and believe they are honest, have integrity, and care, when they are there for one thing...to make money at anyones expense.  I have used MANY very good cleaning products, but none have the fragrance of Orange Blossoms...which I am sure will be the fragrance of Heave, and when Joy made such a BIG DEAL about the wonderful fragrances of this product, all common sense went out the window and I ordereed it.  To HSN's credit, they issued credit AND shipping with no hesitation.  I will NEVER TRUST JOY AGAIN...she is a con.

Super Contributor

I got my first set of these on ebay in spring blossom which smelled nothing like blossoms and many others from hsn in linen which also didnt smell like linen they both smelled like strong thymol....Well today i opened 1 set i got in orange blossom and was stunned that it has a orange scent to it!..This tells me something did go wrong with the other scents....Hopefully they can straighten this out and keep these in stock..I wondered when i read reviews why some said theres smelled so good.....Right now you can only buy orange in the 20 piece  set and linen and vanilla in the 2 piece set.....Wish i had more orange blossom than linen.