Esteemed Contributor

Jolly Roger Telephone Company

[ Edited ]

Has anyone heard of this?  I was reading an article (link below) about robocalls and found out about this in the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/smarter-living/stop-robocalls.html?_r=0

This is a service that lets you route robo and telemarketing calls to a robot who will engage with the telemarketer (or robo-caller) and waste their time.

There is a link to the company in the article.  You can even pick out which robot you want to answer these calls.

To me it seems like something best suited for live telemarketing calls; you're basically pranking the person calling.

From what I've read, the guy who invented it initially decided to hand telemarketers over to his young child who liked to talk on the phone, but when one of them got exasperated and began yelling at the child, he devised this as an alternate plan.  People heard about it, and there became a demand.

Seems a little silly, but amusing nonetheless.  

So whaddaya think, me mateys?

Pirate Squirrel <3

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

In theory, I love the idea.  However, by sending the phone call to this service to respond, isn’t it the same as answering the call, meaning it will only lead to more phone calls? 

Love the pirate squirrel.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I kept getting phone calls from a couple of phone numbers. Sometimes I would get four calls per day from the same number,

I called the number from my work phone and the number is a non-working number. This has happened with more than one number,

I downloaded an app on my phone and you can add the numbers that you want to be blocked. I see the number has called, but it stopped leaving a "message".

My voicemail previously said I had a message, but there was nothing there. It was annoying to have to go through and delete all of them.

I deleted SIXTEEN hangups this week! The app seems to be working! I HATE robocalls and would LOVE to see them get pranked!

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

In theory, I love the idea.  However, by sending the phone call to this service to respond, isn’t it the same as answering the call, meaning it will only lead to more phone calls? 

Love the pirate squirrel.  Smiley Happy

I don't know, @cotton4me.  Maybe so.  Maybe this is a service for people who are self-defeating, who have to have the last laugh even when it winds up being at their own expense.

I think it states in the article that merely saying the word "yes" during a scam call can enable callers to record you saying "yes," and they will use the recording of your voice as evidence that you consented to something.  That makes me wonder what would happen if a robot said "yes" during one of these calls.  Sure, the consent wouldn't hold up in court, but I wonder if you'd have to go through a lot trying to prove the "consenting" party wasn't you.  Maybe if you are a single female and choose a male robot? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I think it states in the article that merely saying the word "yes" during a scam call can enable callers to record you saying "yes," and they will use the recording of your voice as evidence that you consented to something.  That makes me wonder what would happen if a robot said "yes" during one of these calls.  Sure, the consent wouldn't hold up in court, but I wonder if you'd have to go through a lot trying to prove the "consenting" party wasn't you.  Maybe if you are a single female and choose a male robot? 

@mistriTsquirrel  I had the exact same thought!  I would be afraid the service could make it worse.  

It's a shame that these phone calls have gotten so out of hand.  We've had six bad calls so far today, all of them blocked.  

Esteemed Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I kept getting phone calls from a couple of phone numbers. Sometimes I would get four calls per day from the same number,

I called the number from my work phone and the number is a non-working number. This has happened with more than one number,

I downloaded an app on my phone and you can add the numbers that you want to be blocked. I see the number has called, but it stopped leaving a "message".

My voicemail previously said I had a message, but there was nothing there. It was annoying to have to go through and delete all of them.

I deleted SIXTEEN hangups this week! The app seems to be working! I HATE robocalls and would LOVE to see them get pranked!

@flickerbulb

I can't post the link here, because the video contains adult language, but if you go to YouTube and search "Prank Call Murder Scene," there is a hilarious video of a guy convincing a telemarketer that he has called a murder scene and may be implicated in the crime.  It was featured on a morning radio show, I guess.  

Honored Contributor

Don't have the time or the inclination to play games.

I bought 'Call Blocker' from HSN. Problem solved.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Don't have the time or the inclination to play games.

I bought 'Call Blocker' from HSN. Problem solved.

But games can be so fun, @SharkE.  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

BRe: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel

I just went to the Jolly Roger site and listened to some of the samples. Boy, they are funny!

However, once they find out your number is "live", I fear they wil continue to call.

It is scary that they are using local numbers to "ghost" call!  I was expecting a phone call from a workman and picked up the phone because it was local. It was one of the phony numbers!

BTW, that cute Jolly Roger squirrel can call anytime!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BRe: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

@flickerbulb wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

I just went to the Jolly Roger site and listened to some of the samples. Boy, they are funny!

However, once they find out your number is "live", I fear they wil continue to call.

It is scary that they are using local numbers to "ghost" call!  I was expecting a phone call from a workman and picked up the phone because it was local. It was one of the phony numbers!

BTW, that cute Jolly Roger squirrel can call anytime!

@flickerbulb  That squirrel is famous squirrel supermodel Sugar Bush Squirrel.  She has a wardrobe and a career that any squirrel would envy.  I imagine she probably goes on a lot of adventures as well.  Heart