Esteemed Contributor

Re: 💉 Johnson & Johnson 💊

@RetRN wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma   I absolutely agree with you that some folks really need the meds & are responsible users. But doctors have literally been pushing these opioids on people who don’t really need them for years.

Several years ago DH had root canal done. The surgeon gave him a prescription for an opioid.DH said he didn’t want it & asked for a prescription for Tylenol.The doctor said it won’t help & refused to give it to him.I had to call his regular dentist to get the prescription!!

I had a mole removed from my scalp. The surgeon’s P.A. handed me a bottle of meds already filled in my name by the hospital pharmacy. I said no thanks.His response was “you already paid for it you may as well take it”. I left it there.I survived on Advil for a few days. I also called my insurance company & told them what happened.They were billed for it & refused to pay for it.

Oh come on, we all know you do NOT need a prescrption for Tylenol. 

@RetRN   There is a prescription strength Tylenol that you absolutely need a prescription for!! We’ve gotten it more than once, several years ago.

Yes, of course you need a prescription for Tylenol with Codeine. Good grief! Do you not know that Codeine is an opiate? That surgeon must  have had a good laugh when your DH refused the prescription for an opioid and then requested one. 

@RetRN  Codeine is much less potent than the rest.No the surgeon did not laugh. He knew exactly why DH requested Tylenol!! He said it would not be strong enough.The dentist who gave him the Tylenol prescription agreed with DH that the meds the surgeon prescribed were too strong!!

Are you done being condescending?

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ, no. I am just being informative and sharing facts.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN  😂 You did more than inform & share facts you spoke down to me like I was ignorant.  You could have asked a simple question  & I would have explained.Mere facts don’t always tell a story.

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Where to start...I have been living with chronic pain for many years due to failed back surgeries.  If I didn't have the pain medicine I take every single day, my life would be unbearable. I am grateful I am able to continue getting my prescriptions every month.

Sadly there are those who do not take their medication as prescribed, they swallow the pills like candy resulting in running out prior to their next appointment.  What do these people do?  They find other people who will sell their pills for outrageous amounts of money and this goes on month after month.  These are the people who now are addicts.  This is not the fault of the doctor who prescribed the medication. Let's put the blame where it belongs, on the patients who decided to ignore the rules.

I have personally witnessed how putting themselves in this position has turned their lives and the lives of everyone around them into a living hell.  They become terrified of not having their fix and fearful of going into withdrawal.  All because they didn't obey the rules.

From the day my prescription is filled I keep track of the time I take a pill and note the time the next one is due in writing.  I have done this for all the years I have been taking pain medication.

I can understand why the DEA became involved, however, why punish everyone for those who abused their medication.  One size does not fit all...there are people like me whose lives have been turned upside down because of the pain we have  and need the relief we get from the medication prescribed for us.  Keep in mind that what we take does not take away all of the pain, but enough of it so that we can live normal lives.   

Several years ago we visited Florida and I saw people in terrible pain standing on line at a pharmacy being turned away...the pharmacists refused to fill their prescriptions.  The pharmacists now are afraid the DEA will shut them down.  There are two sides to every story, as I previously stated...one size does not fit all.  There is so much more I can say but this post is way too long as it is so I will end it by saying...Please look at the whole picture. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma ❤️I agree with you 1000 percent!

When my mother was alive she was taking these medications she took them properly under a doctors care.

It didn’t even control the pain all the way. 

Honored Contributor

Am sure their appeal is all ready to go...the amount of the damages is just a drop in the bucket of J&J’s annual revenue...but their reputation is more important at this point. Their attorneys are making a compelling defense...but remember this was not a jury trial...a judge heard the case and  handed down his conclusion and damages. Pundits say a jury trial would have been even more costly in damages.

I don’t like that drs are just sitting back with no culpability? I recall two major surgeries I had to have five years ago and I was sent home with literally a bag full of pain meds and everything else...14 bottles in all....all of which were controlled substances. I threw them in the trash and took Aleve if I had any pain, which was minimal thank goodness. But of course, I know Aetna and I still ended up paying for them!

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:  

Oh come on, we all know you do NOT need a prescrption for Tylenol. 

@RetRN  Years ago, after vein surgery, my surgeon prescribed  Percoset (with oxycodone) and I had an allergic reaction; then he prescribed Tylenol 2 with codeine and also had allergic reaction to the codeine (allergic to oxycodone, codeine & sulfa meds).

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ You are so right. In the past I needed the Tylenol for which you DO need a script.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Their defense is they are responsible for less than 1% of opioids in Oklahoma. They also cannot be directly tied to dispensing the drugs. They are really going to do some fast talking to get out of this. Blaming solely the drs doesn’t work either, since J&J sends in former beauty queens as pharm reps to meet with the drs or have a drink with them. Amazing how that works!

I know one of the most heinous parts of this whole opioid crisis is the role Medicare plays in it. They approve and subsidize these drugs so that patients get them for literally pennies or sometimes even free. I know there are legitimate needs for some of these drugs....but at what cost to the patients life? I know someone who takes three Xanax every afternoon so she can nap and three more before bed so she can sleep. She always takes them with a glass of wine so she “gets sleepy.” I worry about her constantly. I take half of one annually before my very long and closed mri and it makes me loopy...can’t imagine taking more than that!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ Yes, she is. Very much so.

Super Contributor

$572 million sure doesn't seem like much when they made profit of $15 BILLION....in one month!!!