Valued Contributor

Re: 💉 Johnson & Johnson 💊

@Annabellethecat66
I completely agree with your post. I took Cymbalta for about three years for back and neck pain. It helped. But I did not like what I read about it and I don’t like to take anything. I weaned myself off of it. It was one of the hardest things I’ve done. I carefully poured out the insides of capsules and then after a while I went every other day. I felt it all over my body. Especially in my head. I have a very complicated and intense job and going through Cymbalta withdrawal did not make it easy. It was so hard. But I made it through and got off it completely. That was about 3 - 4 years ago. I’ll never again take something like that. I take ibuprofen when I have to, but that is all I will do.
Honored Contributor

The company is appealling the ruling, but I never had any problem with passing on this type of medication.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

"...It's the same thing with pot.  You really realize how crazy this country is with pot being legal or illegal (depending on the state) when you watch that police show "Live PD".  It's crazy to think (depending on the state) people can be locked up for possessing pot while other's can't.

We all have our ideas about Pot but one day we'll be treating people for lung cancer or other diseases from smoking pot..."

@Annabellethecat66   Anyone can go here to the NIH-NIDA website for all the information anyone may want on marijuana....   lots of information and interesting...

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/letter-director

Honored Contributor

Oklahoma basically legalized pot (there are pot shops on every corner, growers gearing up and what not) then sued opioid manufacturers.  Go figure.

My boss used to say every time a case is decided two walk out with a victory--both lawyers. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a lot of people who played a part in this whole situation.  .This was brought to the attention of let's just say....."people in high places" who were going to do something about it long ago, but lobbyist from the Pharm Industry paid them off to NOT legislate it away....I can't discuss it here...but you get my drift....They should be held accountable too because it wouldnt have ended up as large as the crisis is today if opiod abuse was stopped early on ......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Gosh, I love to hear that so many take personal responsibility regarding prescribed meds. But the rest of the mere mortals started on their addictive track by trusting their physicians, until it was too late.

Yes, I also fear for those whose pain demands drugs and hope that they will be able to get them from their physicians, who are now so gunshy.

But I don't blame individuals; I blame the TPTB that promoted these drugs so irresponsibly for so many years.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I see weed and opiods as two very different species.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where to start...I have been living with chronic pain for many years due to failed back surgeries.  If I didn't have the pain medicine I take every single day, my life would be unbearable. I am grateful I am able to continue getting my prescriptions every month.

Sadly there are those who do not take their medication as prescribed, they swallow the pills like candy resulting in running out prior to their next appointment.  What do these people do?  They find other people who will sell their pills for outrageous amounts of money and this goes on month after month.  These are the people who now are addicts.  This is not the fault of the doctor who prescribed the medication. Let's put the blame where it belongs, on the patients who decided to ignore the rules.

I have personally witnessed how putting themselves in this position has turned their lives and the lives of everyone around them into a living hell.  They become terrified of not having their fix and fearful of going into withdrawal.  All because they didn't obey the rules.

From the day my prescription is filled I keep track of the time I take a pill and note the time the next one is due in writing.  I have done this for all the years I have been taking pain medication.

I can understand why the DEA became involved, however, why punish everyone for those who abused their medication.  One size does not fit all...there are people like me whose lives have been turned upside down because of the pain we have  and need the relief we get from the medication prescribed for us.  Keep in mind that what we take does not take away all of the pain, but enough of it so that we can live normal lives.   

Several years ago we visited Florida and I saw people in terrible pain standing on line at a pharmacy being turned away...the pharmacists refused to fill their prescriptions.  The pharmacists now are afraid the DEA will shut them down.  There are two sides to every story, as I previously stated...one size does not fit all.  There is so much more I can say but this post is way too long as it is so I will end it by saying...Please look at the whole picture. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   I absolutely agree with you that some folks really need the meds & are responsible users. But doctors have literally been pushing these opioids on people who don’t really need them for years.

Several years ago DH had root canal done. The surgeon gave him a prescription for an opioid.DH said he didn’t want it & asked for a prescription for Tylenol.The doctor said it won’t help & refused to give it to him.I had to call his regular dentist to get the prescription!!

I had a mole removed from my scalp. The surgeon’s P.A. handed me a bottle of meds already filled in my name by the hospital pharmacy. I said no thanks.His response was “you already paid for it you may as well take it”. I left it there.I survived on Advil for a few days. I also called my insurance company & told them what happened.They were billed for it & refused to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

I watched on cbsnews this morning in the interview w/OK Attny saying J&J had thier own opium fields they harvested from to make these pills.