Super Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger

NNNNNoooooooo ... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Ugh. Hollywood always has to cast a "big name," even if they aren't RIGHT FOR THE PART.

The film's not even finished, and it's doomed.

Respected Contributor

On 6/10/2014 MaryV said: I hope he doesn't over do the accent. Pet peeve of this Bostonian.

I agree. I don't think Hollywood should EVER try to do a Boston accent again. They just don't get it right and it's very uncomfortable to listen to. They should just speak in their regular accents.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Hung out outside the house where they were shooting yesterday in Squantum (neighborhood where his GF lived. Hot sure if it was the actual house or not) but didn't see him as they were all interior scenes. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Was fun to see all the trucks and equipment clogging up the neighborhood. The Craft Service and extra holding area was out on Squantum Point Park and rumor has it he was using the house boat at the Marina for his R&R.

I think he will do fine as Whitey. He is a very versatile actor and the make-up they 've created is incredible. He's 51, so the right age for the period they are depicting.

Frequent Contributor

Agree Lindersback, I think he will nail it. Looking forward to seeing the film, considering my zip code...
Super Contributor

On 6/11/2014 MaryV said: Agree Lindersback, I think he will nail it. Looking forward to seeing the film, considering my zip code...

He's up in "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin" filming today. It is going to be fun seeing all the local places on screen. They are covering a large part of the Boston area. Smile

Super Contributor

Whitey has a very distinct high-pitched voice. Wonder if Depp will be able to pull it off?

Respected Contributor

On 6/13/2014 Emma bunting said:

Whitey has a very distinct high-pitched voice. Wonder if Depp will be able to pull it off?

I don't believe I've ever heard Whitey's voice which is surprising, given all the local coverage of his shenanigans. I'm sure Depp will nail his speaking voice. The accent, I'm not so sure. I haven't heard a Hollywood version of the Boston accent that's even mildly acceptable.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I don't believe I've ever heard Whitey's voice which is surprising, given all the local coverage of his shenanigans. I'm sure Depp will nail his speaking voice. The accent, I'm not so sure. I haven't heard a Hollywood version of the Boston accent that's even mildly acceptable.

I've never heard his voice either. Someone who has spoken to him many times told me that. In fact, he does a pretty funny imitation of him. Not what you'd expect from a gangstah like him. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Oh....and as fah as the Boston Accent goes......even when I hear Matt Damon or Ben Affleck use it in a film.........I STILL think it doesn't sound authentic! lol

Respected Contributor

Oh....and as fah as the Boston Accent goes......even when I hear Matt Damon or Ben Affleck use it in a film.........I STILL think it doesn't sound authentic! lol

You took the words right out of my mouth, LOL. I feel the exact same way. Even though they once spoke the real thing, they have worked hard to overcome the accent for professional reasons, and now it's difficult for them to get back to it. I didn't think it sounded authentic either.