Respected Contributor

wrote:

Unless a parent keeps a pre-teen or teen restricted to the house and home schools them there, kids are going to be exposed to various modern day issues. 

It's better they learn to think for themselves rather than only hearing a one-sided opinion for much of their lives.  There's nothing wrong with parents teaching them their family values, probably most of us do, but we shouldn't be afraid they will at some point come across other information and have their own opinions.

I agree @Noel7.

I think the pre-teen years are exactly the time to bring up these issues.  They are exposed to them in their daily lives. A TV show just might be a tool to be used in opening up a discussion between a parent and a kid. 

It's no longer 1950. Conversations about sex, drugs, sexual orientation and violence need to be done earlier and with honesty and truth.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Unless a parent keeps a pre-teen or teen restricted to the house and home schools them there, kids are going to be exposed to various modern day issues. 

It's better they learn to think for themselves rather than only hearing a one-sided opinion for much of their lives.  There's nothing wrong with parents teaching them their family values, probably most of us do, but we shouldn't be afraid they will at some point come across other information and have their own opinions.

I agree @Noel7.

I think the pre-teen years are exactly the time to bring up these issues.  They are exposed to them in their daily lives. A TV show just might be a tool to be used in opening up a discussion between a parent and a kid. 

It's no longer 1950. Conversations about sex, drugs, sexual orientation and violence need to be done earlier and with honesty and truth.

@Ms tyrion2

I've seen some posters question sending their children to college because they are afraid of what they may hear in class.  That's just sad imo.  If it's something the family doesn't agree with, parents can still talk to their college student about it.  Hopefully they will let the student also talk openly to them.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I agree @Noel7.

@Ms tyrion2

I've seen some posters question sending their children to college because they are afraid of what they may hear in class.  That's just sad imo.  If it's something the family doesn't agree with, parents can still talk to their college student about it.  Hopefully they will let the student also talk openly to them.

One of the goals of education is to foment independent thought. We assume our parents'attitudes and beliefs as we are growing up. As we progress, we look at issues and form our own opinions, at least that is the general idea in higher education. We are presented with a variety of opposing ideas and involve ourselves in researching given facts and interpretations. My parents taught me to think for myself, but when I became an adult and had been exposed to a world of different ideas beyond my childhood home, I remember my dad not being very happy about it. I had to point out to him that I was simply following the advice he gave me as I was growing up: form your own opinions and think for yourself. 

Regular Contributor

What a catch ... congrats to the lucky gal that reeled him in.

I support a non-profit group called Project Cuddles out of CA, John was very involved in this ministry to help save babies.  What a guy~not your typical Hollywood elite.

Honored Contributor

@giraffe77  I agree he is a catch, as long as he keeps his addiction problems under control.

Thank you for getting this thread back on topic! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I agree @Noel7.

@Ms tyrion2

One of the goals of education is to foment independent thought. We assume our parents'attitudes and beliefs as we are growing up. As we progress, we look at issues and form our own opinions, at least that is the general idea in higher education. We are presented with a variety of opposing ideas and involve ourselves in researching given facts and interpretations. My parents taught me to think for myself, but when I became an adult and had been exposed to a world of different ideas beyond my childhood home, I remember my dad not being very happy about it. I had to point out to him that I was simply following the advice he gave me as I was growing up: form your own opinions and think for yourself. 

Such important words to live by, @RainCityWoman

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland