Esteemed Contributor

I have lost two close friends to brain cancer....the glioblastoma, the worst of them all. It is a horrible, debilitating disease that takes away everything before it takes your life. I feel for Senator McCain, but I really feel for his loved ones who will have to watch this to the bitter end and then be left with the last images. The families of my two friends were shaken to the core, one of whom took care of her husband in her home as he died. It was a peaceful passing for him as he lapsed into a coma, but for her it was two years of counseling before she could move on.

Honored Contributor

RIP brave warrior.

Respected Contributor

A true Maverick, for sure and undoubtedly a true hero.

Just heard the news that he has passed away.  Still takes your breath away.  

God Speed John McCain and thank you for your service to your country.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

One of my favorite sayings and it can be applied to men, too, especially the Maverick kind.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I admire him, for so many reasons.   What a courageous man, imperfect as is every human being, so I'd never expect to agree with him 100% always.   In life, we learn from those opinions that are different from ours, and if we surround ourselves only with those who are in total agreement we're in a deafening, numbing, and dangerous vacuum.   I've learned so much from him.   I share this quote (attributed to Tecumseh) from McCain's book Character Is Destiny: Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember.

“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.   Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.   

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.    Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.   

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.   

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of vision.    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.    Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.” 

Having read through this several times, sat here thinking it would be a wonderful world if everyone applied this to their lives.  The world would be a better place.  What is said to people can really hurt and affect a person for the rest of their life.

Thanks for posting this.   

Honored Contributor

CNN is showing For Whom The Bell Tolls tonight at 9ET. I highly recommend it. I'm going to watch it again.

I downloaded Restless Wave to my Kindle last night and started it today. It's 400 plus pages. $14.99 for Kindle.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

We have a family member with the same cancer. Sometimes it’s not that you can’t take it anymore, it’s that no treatment is working. You’ve exhausted all avenues of medicine

He is a true American hero

@scatcat

You are so right about no treatment working. My son battled brain cancer and we were told that it is a very difficult cancer to treat because the brain has a barrier that chemo and other types of treatments are very ineffective in getting through. It is the brain's way of protecting itself, and yet, you have to wonder how the cancer got there in the first place. For my son, the cancer did not move from another part of his body - it was the primary tumor. We truly exhausted all avenues of treatment, but, there was no beating the cancer. When I heard that John McCain's had moved to his brain, I knew it was just a matter of time for him.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

We have a family member with the same cancer. Sometimes it’s not that you can’t take it anymore, it’s that no treatment is working. You’ve exhausted all avenues of medicine

He is a true American hero

@scatcat

You are so right about no treatment working. My son battled brain cancer and we were told that it is a very difficult cancer to treat because the brain has a barrier that chemo and other types of treatments are very ineffective in getting through. It is the brain's way of protecting itself, and yet, you have to wonder how the cancer got there in the first place. For my son, the cancer did not move from another part of his body - it was the primary tumor. We truly exhausted all avenues of treatment, but, there was no beating the cancer. When I heard that John McCain's had moved to his brain, I knew it was just a matter of time for him.

My last friend to succumb to cancer had radiation, but then only steroids as treatment instead of chemo. He still lost the battle after a year. There seems to be at this point, no real answer. A glioblastoma is a death sentence, the same as pancreatic and ovarian cancer. Very sad and frightening.

Honored Contributor

So sad to see Meghan today, I truly feel her pain.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I watched the coverage today of John McCain. Now I'm not Meghan's biggest fan, but I felt so sorry for her. She seemed to be very close to her father and she seemed inconsolable, I kept wondering why her brother didn't hold her hand or put his arm around her.