Honored Contributor

Re: John McCain Has Passed Away

His daughter Meghan wrote the most beautiful and inspirational tribute to her father. They just read it on CNN.Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Hoped he’d live to celebrate another birthday next week.  So sad for his family. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Oh My Goodness!  He Will Be Forever Missed!!!!!

on Sept. 6, 2008.Brian Snyder / Reuters file

John McCain, who shed a playboy image in his youth to become a fighter pilot, revered prisoner of war and both an independent voice in the Republican Party and its 2008 presidential nominee, died on Saturday, little more than a year after he was told he had brain cancer. He was 81.

McCain’s office said in a statement "Senator John Sidney McCain III died at 4:28 p.m. on August 25, 2018." He announced on July 19, 2017, that he had been diagnosed with a glioblastoma, an aggressive type of brain tumor. Earlier this week his family announced he was discontinuing treatment.

"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family. At his death, he had served the United States of America faithfully for sixty years," McCain's office said in the statement.

In his 36 years in Congress, McCain became one of the country's most respected and influential politicians, challenging his fellow lawmakers to reach across the aisle for the good of the country, and often sparring with reporters with a biting if self-deprecating wit.

On a variety of issues — torture, immigration, campaign finance, the Iraq War — McCain was often known as the moral center of the Senate and of the Republican Party.

Last year, in his last act of defiance, McCain returned to the Capitol less than a week after his cancer was diagnosed to cast his vote on the Republican effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act — the biggest legislative achievement of President Barack Obama, the man who defeated him in the 2008 election.

Honored Contributor

Blessings and Peace for Senator McCain and his family.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We have lost a true hero. 😞

Honored Contributor

May he rest in peace. I salute him, he was one of a kind and one tough and strong human being. And a true American hero.

Anyone who hasn't seen the HBO documentary For Whom The Bell Tolls, it's definitely worth watching. Would love to see it shown on basic cable and network tv so as many people as possible could see it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

His daughter Meghan wrote the most beautiful and inspirational tribute to her father. They just read it on CNN.Heart

@on the bay, I heard that and have to admit it brought tears to my eyes.  I think anyone that knows the pain of losing a father you adore can feel her pain at this time.  What beautiful words she had for her father.  

As is the case of most of his life, he fought a valiant & admirable battle with cancer until the end.  His bravery & heroism exhibited during his time in captivity in North Vietnam didn't waver during his last battle either.

Prayers for his family.  No matter how much you know the time is coming, it is still so incredibly hard to lose someone you love so much.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

MeghanMcCain.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Ted Kennedy died on the very same day in 2009. From the same cancer.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I recall Barbara Bush passing shortly after announcing her discontinuing any more treatment as well. I pray that she and Sen McCain were each able to hear the outpouring of love and support from so many as their passing was imminent.