Esteemed Contributor

Re: John Lewis’ Funeral Tomorrow

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo 

I've only found your postings to be thoughtful, kind and uplifting.

Please don't be hard on yourself!

While I don't feel I have the power or words to change another person's mind, I can simply skip over their post and do not respond.  

It just saves me a lot of heartburn Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I forget to mention that maybe ignoring from hereon is the best strategy. These posters are also baiting in order to take this wonderful thread down.

@suzyQ3 

We're in sync here ... we just need to not bite on that fish hook.  It's daunting, I know ... 

Frequent Contributor

I was hoping that the funeral would be a celebration of the life of a special man.  I am sure there was much in his personal life that was uplifting and inspirational. I don't think a funeral is a time for politics.  I was especially saddened to see that the eulogies were political.  Maybe I am old fashioned but I think there is a time and a place for politics.  I was sad for his family.  No offense meant to those posters who feel differently.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A great man and he loved kitties.

image.png

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo  First, you were not ranting, Second, Do Not put yourself in any contrary category. You are kind and considerate and I do not believe you could or would ever be outright nasty or confrontational. That's just not you. We all have a bit of combativeness in us but I feel that, that usually comes out when we are pushed to the edge. Whether there is a mental issue or a medical issue and we know not what we say. Yes, we are responsible for what we do and what we say. You are right, we should examine ourselves every so often and take note of our shortcomings and try to rectify them. Some people, just can't do that and therefore, can never change and grow.

Out and out nastiness or contrariness again, that's not you!😉

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Thought I couldn't like him or respect him more!   A cat person, too.

Frequent Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

What is the motivation of some to post on a thread that is a tribute to a public servant for decades on the day of his funeral with unwarranted negative remarks???

Especially when one doing so then complains about posters doing the same thing on a tribute thread of someone they admire.

Some one on here told me on a post i had those that have to complain, say mean things ,are showing us all who they really are.

Kind of like you did @goldensrbest when you went on a different thread honoring another and said, "Never heard of him."  What exactly was the point of that?

RIP to both men.    

Honored Contributor

@Longhorn Gal wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

What is the motivation of some to post on a thread that is a tribute to a public servant for decades on the day of his funeral with unwarranted negative remarks???

Especially when one doing so then complains about posters doing the same thing on a tribute thread of someone they admire.

Some one on here told me on a post i had those that have to complain, say mean things ,are showing us all who they really are.

Kind of like you did @goldensrbest when you went on a different thread honoring another and said, "Never heard of him."  What exactly was the point of that?

RIP to both men.    

I never had heard of him, nothing wrong with that,cause i had not.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@westiemama wrote:

I was hoping that the funeral would be a celebration of the life of a special man.  I am sure there was much in his personal life that was uplifting and inspirational. I don't think a funeral is a time for politics.  I was especially saddened to see that the eulogies were political.  Maybe I am old fashioned but I think there is a time and a place for politics.  I was sad for his family.  No offense meant to those posters who feel differently.  

@westiemama,  in most cases your feelings would be correct and political statements would be out of place but in this case you are overlooking culture.  What was said today was not only appropriate it was expected and would even be encouraged.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Coquille 

@Greeneyedlady21 

@SoX 

@KatieB 

@golding76 

@Mersha 

And, all who watched and enjoyed this journey.

Loved it all...but, having worked in several Congressional offices , I was most impressed with the young woman who spoke who was his Deputy Chief of Staff.

She spoke of a wonderful, inspirational place to work and a man who did all in his power to make it that way.

From personal experience, I can tell you that it is not always that way.  

It was a wonderful triubte all around.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.  I too was interested and impressed by her speech because it gave some insight into the day-to-day life of a representative.  There were a few times I thought she was going to break down, but she regained her composure -- that would be difficult for me.