Respected Contributor

Re: John Lewis Crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma One Last Time

I cried through the entire thing, thinking about him coming over that bridge and pausing to see law enforcement waiting at the foot of the bridge. I was only 7 years old but remember watching videos of the race riots. They were horrifying, but now that I have a better understanding of the meaning behind them, my heart is broken more. He had a life well lived and I am sorry that he is gone. 

Respected Contributor

Tears.

Trusted Contributor

These comments are all so wonderful!  He was truly an embodiment of Christian love.  I admired his willingness to forgive the police officer (also a Klan member) who was  a part of the group that attacked him.  The former officer met with him in his Congressional Office and it was an amazing example of restorative justice.  

Esteemed Contributor

He was an incredible man. The world needs more just like him. God Bless him, and his family. 

Honored Contributor

It is hard to think he is gone.  I am wishing peace for his family.  I truely hope someone will rise up to follow in his footsteps.  Such a love of humanity and community service, with a soul of forgiveness and the  gift of thoughtful words....and the spirit of friendship.  He wasnt perfect, thank goodness, lol....who is?  But her served this country with such love of people.

i thank him.