Honored Contributor

Re: John Hinckley, Jr. releasted, going to Virginia to live

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I'm sure his mother will do an excellent job of "supervising" her 61-year-old son.

How old is his mother anyway???  Smiley surprised 013.GIF

90 years old.

Valued Contributor

In PA, my home state,John DuPont was found 'guilty though mentally ill.'

The verdict carries a maximum sentence of 20 to 40 years, but the minimum is five years because the crime was committed with a gun.

He was sent to Norristown Hospital where he stayed until he was deemed well enough to to prison.

December 9, 2010 -- John du Pont, the chemical fortune heir who killed an Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler at his palatial estate near Philadelphia, died Thursday after being found unresponsive in his prison cell. He was 72. (

Laurel Highlands state prison near Somerset)

"Guilty though mentally ill."

I'd like to see this in all states.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

He suffers from schizophrenia and that doesn't just go away without medication. So what happens if he decides not to take his meds? He is a threat but he comes from $$$$ and I think that had a profound effect on why he was released. Only a few years ago it was found he was writing letters to Jody Foster... This man needs supervision from medical professionals for life. 

My best friend of many years has a BIL that we both went to school with who is schizophrenic, I knew him before and after he started having symptoms and was diagnosed. He lives in a group home. They are monitored to make sure they take their meds.

Hinkley has also been extensively monitored for the many years that he's been allowed out of the hospital to stay with his parents. 

Like any illness schizophrenia varies with the individual and there are different symptoms. Just suppose Hinckley starts to hear voices in his head to kill someone else? 

Many group homes are monitored by minimum wage employees with little interest in the people living there. There have been many reports about this in the news. I have seen how the system works and releasing this mentally ill man is a travesty. 

Hinkley isn't moving into a group home. He's moving in with his parents, that have already been hosting him for longer and longer visits for many years all the while being monitored by the court and his Drs. 

His father died in 2008. His mother is 90 years old. In one year he has the ability to move according to the court.

The system is not so perfect that a schizophrenic man who tried to murder the President will not pose a threat. He's done it before and there is absolutely nothing assuring anyone that if he hears voices again, he may decide to harm someone else. This is a travesty.

You know what else is a travesty? Locking someone away for life because he has a mental illness.

Honored Contributor

This may not be a popular opinion but if you take a shot at the President of the United States and we take you alive, you should never be released back into the public again, ever.  It doesn't matter (for me) whether he is mentally fit or not, the fact (again for me) remains he tried to kill our CIC.

Hinckley comes from a very privileged family and is not living in some horror of a mental health facility.  He needs to own what he did, period.

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom You apparently have waaayyyy more faith in the "justice" system and the mental health community than I do!

Which is fine. I'm not putting you down for it.

I have no faith at all in them and I think our justice system is way skewed in favor of criminals. Of course I suppose one could say it wasn't technically a "criminal" act since he was "mentally ill" at the time, but to my way of thinking, he committed a crime and still owes a debt to society and should be in prison instead of at his Mom's house. JMO

Trusted Contributor

Just heard this - YIKES!!

I hope someone is in charge of watching him, so that he does get the medicine he needs.  Or there will be another news story we won't want to hear.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

He suffers from schizophrenia and that doesn't just go away without medication. So what happens if he decides not to take his meds? He is a threat but he comes from $$$$ and I think that had a profound effect on why he was released. Only a few years ago it was found he was writing letters to Jody Foster... This man needs supervision from medical professionals for life. 

My best friend of many years has a BIL that we both went to school with who is schizophrenic, I knew him before and after he started having symptoms and was diagnosed. He lives in a group home. They are monitored to make sure they take their meds.

Hinkley has also been extensively monitored for the many years that he's been allowed out of the hospital to stay with his parents. 

Like any illness schizophrenia varies with the individual and there are different symptoms. Just suppose Hinckley starts to hear voices in his head to kill someone else? 

Many group homes are monitored by minimum wage employees with little interest in the people living there. There have been many reports about this in the news. I have seen how the system works and releasing this mentally ill man is a travesty. 

Hinkley isn't moving into a group home. He's moving in with his parents, that have already been hosting him for longer and longer visits for many years all the while being monitored by the court and his Drs. 

His father died in 2008. His mother is 90 years old. In one year he has the ability to move according to the court.

The system is not so perfect that a schizophrenic man who tried to murder the President will not pose a threat. He's done it before and there is absolutely nothing assuring anyone that if he hears voices again, he may decide to harm someone else. This is a travesty.

You know what else is a travesty? Locking someone away for life because he has a mental illness.

He didn't just have a mental illness. His mental illness drove him to try and murder the President. There is absolutely nothing assuring any of us that if he does not take his medications that he will try and do the same.

Schizophrenia does not suddenly go away. Anyone who has such profound illness may be monitored and watched but there is absolutly no way that any of us know whether he will continue taking his meds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 Exactly. And somehow I don't think his 90-year-old mother is up to the job. Good Lord.   Smiley surprised 005.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Isn't it the parents that had a hand in why their son is the way he is and allowing him back to that environment 24/7 will make him sane when he probably never was, under their roof?  When his parents pass away what then?

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hard to believe, but apparently true..

http://abc7.com/news/judge-reagan-shooter-can-leave-hospital-to-live-in-virginia/1445025/

IMHO, he should never be free.

He was found not guilty because of insanity/mental defect. He went to a mental hospital. Many people who are mentally ill do well with proper medication but need someone to make sure they refill their prescription(s) and take the medication. If his mom can do that for him, there's no need to keep in in the hospital.

That's how it works. He was not convicted of a crime, he's mentally ill. 

Then, maybe there should be laws where you get convicted of being mentally ill and you still serve time 'like a crime'.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust