Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: John Hinckley, Jr. releasted, going to Virginia to live

@momtochloe wrote:

This may not be a popular opinion but if you take a shot at the President of the United States and we take you alive, you should never be released back into the public again, ever.  It doesn't matter (for me) whether he is mentally fit or not, the fact (again for me) remains he tried to kill our CIC.

Hinckley comes from a very privileged family and is not living in some horror of a mental health facility.  He needs to own what he did, period.

I completely agree with you, @momtochloe.

Valued Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hard to believe, but apparently true..

http://abc7.com/news/judge-reagan-shooter-can-leave-hospital-to-live-in-virginia/1445025/

IMHO, he should never be free.

He was found not guilty because of insanity/mental defect. He went to a mental hospital. Many people who are mentally ill do well with proper medication but need someone to make sure they refill their prescription(s) and take the medication. If his mom can do that for him, there's no need to keep in in the hospital.

That's how it works. He was not convicted of a crime, he's mentally ill. 

Then, maybe there should be laws where you get convicted of being mentally ill and you still serve time 'like a crime'.

Hi @Puzzle Piece They do have that in PA.  I wrote about that a few posts ago about John DuPont. He was found "Guilty but mentally ill" Went to mental hospital til he was deemed ready to go to prison where he died in 2010.

Respected Contributor

Is he going to be his elderly mother's caregiver, is that the story now?  I doubt that she will live very long under his watch.  Doubtful that someone with his diagnosis has the skills to be a caregiver. 

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

This may not be a popular opinion but if you take a shot at the President of the United States and we take you alive, you should never be released back into the public again, ever.  It doesn't matter (for me) whether he is mentally fit or not, the fact (again for me) remains he tried to kill our CIC.

Hinckley comes from a very privileged family and is not living in some horror of a mental health facility.  He needs to own what he did, period.

I would tend to agree with you, mtc.

It's not as though our incarceration system is fair anyway.

But I suppose that's a subject for another thread.  Or a subject that would just get poofed!

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Isn't it the parents that had a hand in why their son is the way he is and allowing him back to that environment 24/7 will make him sane when he probably never was, under their roof?  When his parents pass away what then?

His parents are responsible for his mental illness?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hard to believe, but apparently true..

http://abc7.com/news/judge-reagan-shooter-can-leave-hospital-to-live-in-virginia/1445025/

IMHO, he should never be free.

He was found not guilty because of insanity/mental defect. He went to a mental hospital. Many people who are mentally ill do well with proper medication but need someone to make sure they refill their prescription(s) and take the medication. If his mom can do that for him, there's no need to keep in in the hospital.

That's how it works. He was not convicted of a crime, he's mentally ill. 

I wrote basically the same thing three times and didn't posted it. 

Mental illness is real. It's also not necessarily permanant. He was found not guilty. If his Drs say and the judge ruled that he's no longer a danger to himself and others then he should be released. Mental hospitals are not just a different version of prison. 

Yes, the news said he was no longer a danger, but then started naming off all the people he is not ever allowed to be near (there were a lot) including the Reagan family. If he is no longer a danger, why ban him from being near so many people???  Crazy!

Edited for spelling!

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Isn't it the parents that had a hand in why their son is the way he is and allowing him back to that environment 24/7 will make him sane when he probably never was, under their roof?  When his parents pass away what then?

For that type of diagnosis, I think they had a hand in it. 

Respected Contributor

He has to alert the Secret Service if he's going to be in or near Wash. D.C.

And if he doesn't, what happens? 

Honored Contributor

I was just listening to an interview regarding this. What I remember:

*will live in the basement of his mothers' home

*has had many girlfriends and has one currently.

*he is trying to start up a band

*he has matured enough to understand and show remorse when before, he could not.

*Will live in Williamsburg.

*Mothers' home is on the 13th hole of a golf course.

*Clinton was just there playing a round of golf.

*Could the location and and those who use the golf course act as a trigger.

I wasn't in my car that long but that was the section of the interview. The man is a journalist who has been covering Hinckley for decades and just wrote an extensive article for a paper (not the Washington Post). I wish I had heard the entire interview.

103.5 FM if you live in the MD/DC/VA area was the news channel.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@truffle wrote:

For that type of diagnosis, I think they had a hand in it. 

You mean his diagnosis of schizophrenia? You might want to check out this article on the scientists who have discovered the biological cause of schizophrenia. It sounds like you are confusing a schizophrenic with sociopath. They are not the same.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/scientists-find-biological-cause-for-s...