Honored Contributor

Re: John Hinckley, Jr. releasted, going to Virginia to live

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Whatever he was - mentally ill or evil - he is a threat to the public and should not be released. He has already demonstrated what he is capable of. JMO.

Obviously, his Drs ( the actual mental health professionals treating him) and the courts disagree. 

I guess we're just supposed to poll the public for their opinion and go with that instead. 

That's the case with everything these days, I'm afraid. Forget what the actual experts think and just go with what you feel in your gut!

Respected Contributor

Is it correct that he's only required to live with his mother for one year?

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Whatever he was - mentally ill or evil - he is a threat to the public and should not be released. He has already demonstrated what he is capable of. JMO.

Obviously, his Drs ( the actual mental health professionals treating him) and the courts disagree. 

I guess we're just supposed to poll the public for their opinion and go with that instead. 

That's the case with everything these days, I'm afraid. Forget what the actual experts think and just go with what you feel in your gut!

The experts can be swayed by $$$$ and there have often been in the news people who have murdered and maimed someone after having been deemed well by the so called experts. It is in the news frequently.

John Hinckley comes from a lot of money and I highly doubt some poor slob would ever have been released. So what happens if he forgets to take his meds and starts hearing voices?

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

He suffers from schizophrenia and that doesn't just go away without medication. So what happens if he decides not to take his meds? He is a threat but he comes from $$$$ and I think that had a profound effect on why he was released. Only a few years ago it was found he was writing letters to Jody Foster... This man needs supervision from medical professionals for life. 

That's why he can't live on his own and is only released to live under his mom's supervision.

If he refuses to take his meds, she can have him committed.

I can't find any stories that say he's written to Jodie Foster recently. Could you please post a link to the article where you read that?

The last reference I saw, was back in the 1990s. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

There are many conditions attached to his release, from what I briefly heard on the radio this morning.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure his mother will do an excellent job of "supervising" her 61-year-old son.

How old is his mother anyway???  Smiley surprised 013.GIF

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

LOL most of the time, even if you post links people don't read them. They just say whatever they think without even looking into any actual facts. 

Esteemed Contributor

It would seem to me, a lady with a 61-year-old son, might be needing household help herself and therefore, would have every reason in the world to NOT report him for skipping meds.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It would seem to me, a lady with a 61-year-old son, might be needing household help herself and therefore, would have every reason in the world to NOT report him for skipping meds.

Apparently the judge and mental health professionals that have been closely monitoring every single visit he's made to determine if it's safe to have another one wouldn't bother to determine that the people and place he's staying at on and off for years now is safe? 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

He suffers from schizophrenia and that doesn't just go away without medication. So what happens if he decides not to take his meds? He is a threat but he comes from $$$$ and I think that had a profound effect on why he was released. Only a few years ago it was found he was writing letters to Jody Foster... This man needs supervision from medical professionals for life. 

My best friend of many years has a BIL that we both went to school with who is schizophrenic, I knew him before and after he started having symptoms and was diagnosed. He lives in a group home. They are monitored to make sure they take their meds.

Hinkley has also been extensively monitored for the many years that he's been allowed out of the hospital to stay with his parents. 

Like any illness schizophrenia varies with the individual and there are different symptoms. Just suppose Hinckley starts to hear voices in his head to kill someone else? 

Many group homes are monitored by minimum wage employees with little interest in the people living there. There have been many reports about this in the news. I have seen how the system works and releasing this mentally ill man is a travesty. 

Hinkley isn't moving into a group home. He's moving in with his parents, that have already been hosting him for longer and longer visits for many years all the while being monitored by the court and his Drs. 

His father died in 2008. His mother is 90 years old. In one year he has the ability to move according to the court.

The system is not so perfect that a schizophrenic man who tried to murder the President will not pose a threat. He's done it before and there is absolutely nothing assuring anyone that if he hears voices again, he may decide to harm someone else. This is a travesty.