Trusted Contributor

Re: Job Market in 2019. Have things Improved?

@JBKO wrote:

Thank you everyone. I wasn't able to reply yesteday because I didn't have access to the internet (getting a new phone). Anyway, I graduated in 2008. It was baddddd that year. Looking for work during that time was impossible. I'm still very hurt and affrected by it.

I'm very sorry that you were so negatively affected by this. Life can be very challenging at times. 

Many were negtively affected back then, and still are. Some had to take whatever job/s they could.

Hang in there. You're not alone. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3 wrote:

@JBKO wrote:

Thank you everyone. I wasn't able to reply yesteday because I didn't have access to the internet (getting a new phone). Anyway, I graduated in 2008. It was baddddd that year. Looking for work during that time was impossible. I'm still very hurt and affrected by it.

I'm very sorry that you were so negatively affected by this. Life can be very challenging at times. 

Many were negtively affected back then, and still are. Some had to take whatever job/s they could.

Hang in there. You're not alone. Heart

True, but there are others who made lemonade out of lemons.

They went back to school, updated their skills.

They didn't sit on their laurals and feel sorry for themselves.

They didn't make excuses.

They took charge of their life, and went out and made the changes themselves.

They didn't wait for someone to just hand them a job, they went out and earned that job.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

Well the unemployment rate has been steadily going down for many years. 

2009 unemployment rate 9.9

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

now 9.9 rate we had the meltdown of 2008 so very high. It would be nice if we had zero unemployment but that Will never happen. What we need is for more blue collar jobs in the midwest. 

@Nbo  The only thing blue collar jobs do is keep people below the poverty line. We need better paying jobs for college educated individuals with room for growth. We should be encouraging our kids to pursue higher education and go after professional careers, not to get through high school and accept minimum wage positions.

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

Hogwash! - To the text in red!

We should be encouraging young adults to consider TRADE SCHOOL, for cryin' in the beer.  They'll come out of it into an apprenticeship, join a union or set up their own businesses and Bob's your uncle. 

The one thing we don't need are tens of thousands of additional college graduates demanding that the feds pay their student loans.  I'm sick of the lot of them!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

now 9.9 rate we had the meltdown of 2008 so very high. It would be nice if we had zero unemployment but that Will never happen. What we need is for more blue collar jobs in the midwest. 

@Nbo  The only thing blue collar jobs do is keep people below the poverty line. We need better paying jobs for college educated individuals with room for growth. We should be encouraging our kids to pursue higher education and go after professional careers, not to get through high school and accept minimum wage positions.

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

We should be encouraging young adults to consider TRADE SCHOOL, for cryin' in the beer.  They'll come out of it into an apprenticeship, join a union or set up their own businesses and Bob's your uncle. 

The one thing we don't need are tens of thousands of additional college graduates demanding that the feds pay their student loans.  I'm sick of the lot of them!

My husband went to trade school right out of high school and was a construction trades union member.  He never lost a days pay due to lack of work.  He retired at 62 with his full pension.  Our medical, drug, dental and vision benefits were included until he turned 65 and became eligible for Medicare.

Esteemed Contributor

Life lessons , I beleive in further education after high school.  I furthered my education and  have had a wonderful career in health care.  There are still plenty of  healthcare jobs in the country. I'm retired but work part time   , however I get calls every day  from other employers  who need nurses with intensive care skills such as I had.

There are so many companies that need employees who  have skills as automechanic, HAV , ect as other posters have mentioned .  These are terrific careers  for some people.  College degrees  are good but so many  spent so much money on degrees in fields that were oversaturated .  I know  a lady that spent thousands at NYC on a degree  who is now working finally as a   social worker .   People  need to  review the job market when  deciding which field to pursure a degree. I know  people who  lost their jobs then  pursed another field through additional education who are doing great. My area has plently of jobs , you just have to look or pursue job retraining .

Valued Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

@sfnative  Bull. We need more educated people in technology and medical jobs, not more plumbers. Plumbers are great, but encouraging your kids to become a plumber instead of studying computer science or medicine is bad parenting.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but not all kids are cut out for college. I hate the generalizations I see here. I happen to need a plumber, electrician, HVAC person, auto mechanic, cosmetologist, roofer, carpenter, lawn service and snow removal service, and many other service providers. I have a neighbor who is a welder and one who is a machinist, they are doing well.  We also need transportation workers for trains and airline pilots. We also need services such as bakers, chefs, and florists. 

So go ahead and get that degree is astronomy, geology, art history and good luck earning a living using it.

The job market is phenomenal if you are realistic.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

@sfnative  Bull. We need more educated people in technology and medical jobs, not more plumbers. Plumbers are great, but encouraging your kids to become a plumber instead of studying computer science or medicine is bad parenting.

Remember that when your pipe bursts on a holiday, and that holiday falls on a Sunday, and it's past 6pm.

Plumbers are worth their weight.

There is NOTHING shameful about being a plumber.

And if that's what a kid wants to do, then a GOOD parent encourages them to follow their dream.

Only a BAD PARENT would DISCOURAGE  a child from going in to ANY profession.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

Remember that when your pipe bursts on a holiday, and that holiday falls on a Sunday, and it's past 6pm.

Plumbers are worth their weight.

There is NOTHING shameful about being a plumber.

And if that's what a kid wants to do, then a GOOD parent encourages them to follow their dream.

Only a BAD PARENT would DISCOURAGE  a child from going in to ANY profession.

Or when there's no heat or air conditioning, the car won't start, etc...

Honored Contributor

@JBKOWhat kind of work do you do now? Are there any skills that would be helpful to development to advance in your line of work?  Can you meet with your supervisor and ask what steps would be useful to take to advance?