Trusted Contributor

Job Market in 2019. Have things Improved?

Good afternoon,

For those of you have had to look for work in the past year, do you find that things have improved? It's time for me to look for something new and better since I'm having a hard time making ends meet. TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Job Market in 2019. Have things Improved?

Several friends found 2019 was wonderful for their job hunting endeavors. They not only ended up with a job, but good-paying jobs. They like that the economy has been good for them and are very happy in their new positions. Everything is very positive for my friends, which makes me happy!

My job is still great and because of the economy in 2019, I received a great raise. I'm a happy camper!

Honored Contributor

Improved from what?  I understand that there can be regional differences but we don't have an employment problem in this country.  We haven't had one for 7 or 8 years.  Of course, some workers have outdated skill sets or they lack the required education for the jobs they really want.  But there are jobs.  I think it's harder for people over 50 years of age, it always has been because many employers worry that older workers can't adjust to new situations and can't learn new things.  That's not true, of course but given a 35 year old and 50 year old with identical resumes, they will take the 35 year old every time.  I was guilty of that myself when I was a manager.

Honored Contributor

The last time I remember seeing one of your threads you were deciding where to go on vacation. Did you decide of Florida and have a good time?

Super Contributor

Finding a job hasn’t been the problem for about 8 years . Problem is that wages are  not that great. 

Valued Contributor

GREAT for us !!  All working and wages good !!  

Respected Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

Finding a job hasn’t been the problem for about 8 years . Problem is that wages are  not that great. 

So then why the change in unemployment stats?

Honored Contributor

There were very few jobs available around where I live unless you wanted to work in fast food or retail.

Now, there are job postings everywhere.  It seems to be a good time to get a new job with higher wages for some people. Many businesses are complaining that they can't keep their workers....they are moving on quickly.

I hope the good job market continues.

Respected Contributor

The so called"rust belt" states are not doing well.  Manufacturing and railroad jobs with good salaries are disappearing.  Retail businesses are closing.  The jobs in retail don't pay well, but even many of those are going away.  So, the short answer is NO.  Things have not improved.  To those of us in the rust belt states, things are worse.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that "how good" the job market is varies greatly on where you live.I live in SW Michigan. What's going on here is completely irrelevant if you live anywhere else - even 100 miles down the road on the other side of the state. Next is what kind of work you do or are seeking. Retail jobs and service sector jobs in my area are plentiful. CEO jobs, not so much. But again, that's just here in my corner of the world. 

The only way you're going to find out what it's like where you live is to start looking. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~