Esteemed Contributor

Re: Job Market in 2019. Have things Improved?

@MaryLamb wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

Well the unemployment rate has been steadily going down for many years. 

2009 unemployment rate 9.9

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

now 9.9 rate we had the meltdown of 2008 so very high. It would be nice if we had zero unemployment but that Will never happen. What we need is for more blue collar jobs in the midwest. 

@Nbo  The only thing blue collar jobs do is keep people below the poverty line. We need better paying jobs for college educated individuals with room for growth. We should be encouraging our kids to pursue higher education and go after professional careers, not to get through high school and accept minimum wage positions.

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

Hogwash! - To the text in red!

We should be encouraging young adults to consider TRADE SCHOOL, for cryin' in the beer.  They'll come out of it into an apprenticeship, join a union or set up their own businesses and Bob's your uncle. 

The one thing we don't need are tens of thousands of additional college graduates demanding that the feds pay their student loans.  I'm sick of the lot of them!

@sfnative  Bull. We need more educated people in technology and medical jobs, not more plumbers. Plumbers are great, but encouraging your kids to become a plumber instead of studying computer science or medicine is bad parenting.

@MaryLamb 

Have you ever watched a recent season of "This Old House" on PBS?  If not, do so.  Your mind will be changed.

So it's Silicon Valley and medical types you want?  Look no farther than my husband and me.  However, these days, the educational cost is humongous and will the interest be there?  Those who have true interest in medicine and don't want the burden of hundreds of thousands of dollars are wise to join the military for a free ride, but not many do.  And, who wants to join the "culture" of insanity in tech today?  It's certainly not what it was in my husband's heyday.  It's downright disgusting today.  The U.S, has plenty of brains, but not much brawn.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Amazon offers $15.00/hr.  Big deal.

Bezos just cut the health care benefits for Whole Foods employees.

It used to be workers who put in 20 hours/week qualified.  Now that has been bumped up to 30 hours/week to qualify for health care.

1,900 employees will be left without medical care. 

Whole Foods is struggling to find more hours throughout the stores for those employees and also looking into other ways to provide health insurance.

Way to go Bezos.  Keep taking your selfies.

He doesn't have to offer it at all to part time employees.

Trusted Contributor

Hey everyone. Thank you for all your replies. You've certainly kept yourselves very entertained while I was gone.

I get the overall feeling that there is a significant improvement and that makes me hopeful. I'll leave you with an observation. We've all encountered coworkers that make us wonder "how the heck did he or she get that job since they are far from competent." There are dozens in the opposite situation that are un/undermployed that would make a great addition to any company. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaryLamb wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

now 9.9 rate we had the meltdown of 2008 so very high. It would be nice if we had zero unemployment but that Will never happen. What we need is for more blue collar jobs in the midwest. 

@Nbo  The only thing blue collar jobs do is keep people below the poverty line. We need better paying jobs for college educated individuals with room for growth. We should be encouraging our kids to pursue higher education and go after professional careers, not to get through high school and accept minimum wage positions.

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

We should be encouraging young adults to consider TRADE SCHOOL, for cryin' in the beer.  They'll come out of it into an apprenticeship, join a union or set up their own businesses and Bob's your uncle. 

The one thing we don't need are tens of thousands of additional college graduates demanding that the feds pay their student loans.  I'm sick of the lot of them!

@sfnative  Bull. We need more educated people in technology and medical jobs, not more plumbers. Plumbers are great, but encouraging your kids to become a plumber instead of studying computer science or medicine is bad parenting.

Well I can get someone a job today if they can weld.  Some of the guys make close to $100,000 a year.  Guessing computer science degrees don't pay that.

Oh and also pass a drug test.  Another problem many employeers are running into.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Amazon offers $15.00/hr.  Big deal.

Bezos just cut the health care benefits for Whole Foods employees.

It used to be workers who put in 20 hours/week qualified.  Now that has been bumped up to 30 hours/week to qualify for health care.

1,900 employees will be left without medical care. 

Whole Foods is struggling to find more hours throughout the stores for those employees and also looking into other ways to provide health insurance.

Way to go Bezos.  Keep taking your selfies.

He doesn't have to offer it at all to part time employees.

@CelticCrafterWe know that.  The point is that these employees had coverage and now will not. 

How would you like to show up at work and be told your coverage will be expiring?

Would you just "shrug" and say he doesn't have to offer it to you???

It isn't Bezos scrambling to find more hours for these employee and it isn't Bezos scrambling to find alternative coverage for low hour employees.  It is CEO Mackay who is still trying to uphold this for the employees.

It's a shame you don't get it; Bezos can certainly afford to maintain some coverage considering employees buy into it anyway.

It isn't a matter of "he doesnt have to"; it's a matter of continuing some security for employees regardless if he has to or not. 

I thought we were all supposed to support the lowly worker; maybe I've been listening to the wrong people.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

2012 unemployment 7.9

2015 unemployment 5.0

2016 unemployment 4.7

2017 unemployment 4.1

2018 unemployment 3.9

2019 as of August 4.0

@MaryLamb 

@Nbo 

Well I can get someone a job today if they can weld.  Some of the guys make close to $100,000 a year.  Guessing computer science degrees don't pay that.

Oh and also pass a drug test.  Another problem many employeers are running into.

@CrazyDaisy , fumes welders are exposed to have been linked to neurological problems and a wide range of ailments. 

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

Finding a job hasn’t been the problem for about 8 years . Problem is that wages are  not that great. 

So then why the change in unemployment stats?

The unemployment stats are very low.