Respected Contributor

Just my experience with Joann and Michaels's on yarn purchases.

I gave up.  I do a lot of crocheting, and only use one brand.  They don't sell my brand in their stores, so online purchase is the only way.

Neither of them can seem to manage getting you 6 skeins with the same dye-lot.  Really?  I need only 6 skiens of each shade I purchase!  I got tired of driving to the stores for returns, so I didn't have to pay the return postage.

I now purchase from Amazon Prime.  They sell a lot of different brands in 6-Packs, and the Dye-Lots are guaranteed to match.

It costs me a little more, but no driving, and standing in line for returns. 

Just a thought to try and help you, if I can.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

My husband drives 100 miles 3 days a week round trip to work and back

and he's pushing 70.

What he would give to drive 30 or even 50 round trip.

Respected Contributor

I can understand your annoyance with the situation,

I have ordered the wrong item and within less than 15 minutes realized what I did but could not cancel it. (It was not Joann Fabric). I did not want to pay a return cost and so I kept the item and gave it to someone.

I am surprised they do not state their return policy and fees on their website.

Traveling 30 miles, and using gas unnecessarily is an annoyance especially when you are doing it for a reason you resent. Money is money.

Make the best of the situation, and anyone can make a mistake when ordering something.

Sometimes it seems online shopping is not so convenient, service and returns are not so easy, and combined it is becoming expensive.

Respected Contributor

OkRe: Joann Fabric Heads up

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 chalk it up to another lesson learned that when shopping online, few retailers allow cancellations. I double check my order before hitting submit and still make a mistake occasionally...one of the drawbacks of the shopping at home.

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 

I certainly understand your frustration, and I shop frequently with Joann's online.

Might I make a suggestion for the yarn if you decide not to use it?

If there is a Project Linus in your area, most will take donated fabric or yarn to make blankets for babies and children.

I belong to a local chapter and we frequently get donated yard which is then make into lovely blankets.

You will know that someone is enjoying your purchase Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I did double check my order but what is “wrong is the color swatch of yarn showing more of a bright turquoise” that was called aqua. THAT is what I was ordering was from the site photo and not from what I have.

I would never had ordered if I saw the correct color of the Aqua that I bought in the Joann store previously. Our local store Joann store closed several years ago and I really miss it.

I have no other yarn store other than Walmart so I shop mostly online.

I will donate the yarn to our local hospital Crafters group as they make items for our hospital bazaar. I brought two huge bags of new yarn to them a few weeks ago.

I do not blame Joann’s only for posting incorrect colors for us to buy that is the actual color is a deep teal and not aqua. I loved the yarn color aqua online and was looking forward to getting it.

I earned the free shipping from the three previous yarn orders over the last month as an incentive to purchase again.

Lesson learned as I will call the seller if I have any questions before ordering anywhere again. Luckily it was only $30.00 but there should be an hour window to change things on any order for 1 hour. That isn’t too much to ask to save returns on there end.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When I saw the title, I thought you were coming to tell us they were closing! Whew, they are one of the few brick & mortar places left where I can go to see fabric in person before i buy it.

@CelticCrafter 

Me too!  I'm sooo relieved that it's just a disgruntled customer.  For what it's worth, I don't see this as JoAnn Fabric's fault.  When you place an order online, that's a totally different thing from your local store.  The B&M store can't do anything to undo the mistake you just made online.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My husband drives 100 miles 3 days a week round trip to work and back

and he's pushing 70.

What he would give to drive 30 or even 50 round trip.

@SharkE 

You cannot compare your statement with that of someone who is not employed outside the home.  Please don't always be pouring lemon juice in a wound.

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 

Joann's went through a change in CEO some time in the last 12-14 months.  There's no telling how many policies were changed, if any.

Prior to the change, the then CEO sent emails to all customers to sign a petition regarding U.S. international commerce policy, because nearly all of their products come to them from China and their business would be hurt terribly if "the rules were changed," or some such thing.

I was aghast at her email and have not set one foot in a Joann's store since nor will I in future.

These days, I prefer to purchase yarn directly from the manufacturer, where possible, or an alternate vendor like Mary Maxim , Herrschner's, etc.  These are businesses which have good customer service folks who can help you.  And, for your sake, I would advise you not to use PayPal.  I had 2 international yarn purchases which went array, not my fault, and PayPal refused to even acknowledge my request to initiate a communication for refund.  Having been burned by them twice, I've dropped them like a hot potato.

Valued Contributor

Not a fan of JoAnn's. Unfortunately they're the only remaining fabric store in our town, and in fact within hundreds of miles. The fabrics they sell are so cheap, such poor quality. When I knit I buy yarn from small businesses or directly from the manufacturer. My last project was with yarn from ebay. I've pretty much given up sewing because it's become so difficult to buy good quality fabrics and fabric is not something I like buying online.