Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Joann Fabric Heads up

[ Edited ]

I ordered 4 skeins of yarn online and a few minutes later I saw I had ordered the wrong color. Their aqua Caron yarn is a deep teal as I had just finished an Afghan with it. 

The aqua they showed on their site was a beautiful turquoise color so I checked what brand to be sure the aqua I had previously purchased was the same number. I had purchased the aqua for my Afghan in a store and not online.

I went back in to my account within 5 minutes and it was already processing. I emailed them immediately and a few hours called them when they opened. No luck. Once you place an order there is no way to cancel it. You have to send back at a $7.95 return shipping charge. There was nothing I could find on the site ever stating this.

I will keep the yarn as I had a coupon for free shipping but I should not have to pay to return at $7.95 for this. I will just make something for someone with it.

Mistake now learned. If I am not at their store( it is 30 miles away) I will not buy anything anymore from them. I can return it at the store but will be out my time and gas money.

I will send another email to state this to them after I get the order. My credit card has been charged.

Honored Contributor

If they begin processing immediately, the customer is not happy.

BUT

If they delay processing/shipping, the customer is not happy.

I’m confused how this is JoAnns issue. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Joann Fabric Heads up

[ Edited ]

Many etailers do not allow cancellations.  It is pretty common.  I have experienced this myself.  Lesson learned.

Edited to add: out of curiosity I looked at Joann's website and their shipping and return policy is there on the bottom of the page.  

Honored Contributor
Can you just return it at the store and skip the shipping cost?
Honored Contributor
Never mind... I just noticed where it’s too far to go for the return.
Honored Contributor

Lots of retailers don’t allow cancellations. Talbots is one of them.  Once you hit the “submit order” button that’s it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don't see in any way how this is the fault of Joann Fabrics.  Should they be responsible for the customer's mistake?  If they gave free shipping and processed the order immediately (which most customers demand now), it seems to me fair that the customer should pick up the tab for returning the item, unless it's defective.

It's also not their fault, if a customer lives 30 miles away from the nearest store.  I'm in a rural area and everything is at least a 30 to 40 mile round-trip, but it's where I chose to live.

Honored Contributor

Re: Joann Fabric Heads up

[ Edited ]

When I saw the title, I thought you were coming to tell us they were closing! Whew, they are one of the few brick & mortar places left where I can go to see fabric in person before i buy it.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I don't think that a 30-mile trip is that big a deal.

I play at a church twice a week that's 30 miles away. I just drive and don't think about it!

Valued Contributor

Joann's is dreadful.  There is SO much junk in the stores I've started calling it Joann's House of Junk.