Valued Contributor

Re: Joan River's dog's bowl sells for $14,000

One of the charities is God's Love We Deliver -- not Meals on Wheels.  

Super Contributor

I was surprised that the entire auction only brought in $2,199,000. 

Her original Faberge jewelry pieces brought in the most money - 1 picture frame brought in $246,000.

Certainly $2M is nothing to sneeze at and it does benefit some of her charities.

You can view the auction results at christies.com -- then do a search for "Joan Rivers auction results". 

They list the results with picture for each item OR you can download a list of results according to Lot number.

In my dreams -- I would have LOVED to have those Faberge pieces....

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

One of the charities is God's Love We Deliver -- not Meals on Wheels.  

------------

Thank you. That is the correct one.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I have said this before, but I'll say it again.  I get that people can spend their own money in their own way, but meanwhile that $14K could have been used for a far better purpose.  

ITA. 

Trusted Contributor

I cleaning my dogs bowl as I post. I'll scratch off my dogs name get the magic marker out and write Spike. Having a yard sale next week it might bring 14 cents. Oh well so much for famous dogs. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it's ridiculous for someone to spend that kind of money on this item.  On the other hand, I think it's silly that Spike was eating out of a Tiffany's silver bowl.  

Respected Contributor

All of the proceeds are going to her favorite charity- I wish it had sold for $1 million!

Honored Contributor

I know I am in the minority here but I kind of get it . . . Spike was everything to Joan and she was devastated when she lost him.

I would imagine someone who loves animals or has had that kind of connection to a pet like that and has that kind of coin would be very interested in buying that particular item (I have to say I got a little teary eyed when I saw it).

Whoever bought this is probably a huge Joan fan and the funds go to a great charity.  I fully understand it sounds incredibly frivolous to most people but again I kind of dig it.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put a bid in on one of her pieces of jewelry in the online auction. I didn't win. I had a price that I wasn't going to go over. I do like the dog bowls but they are totally over priced. There was a piece of furniture I really loved but even the reserve price was really high so I am sure it went for a really high amount.

Both Joan and her daughter are both very generous and Melissa will be using some of that settlement for charities so I don't begrudge her anything. Even if she didn't put a cent to charity, I am sure they pay a pretty penny in their tax bracket, especially in California.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Hi Chloe's Mom!  I agree with you.  

I get that she spent for her little canine baby.  I also get that it was HER money to spend as she would see fit.

Almost makes me feel bad that my Ru doesn't have his name on his bowls.  His are only the lowly stainless steel.  I don't like sterling silver anyway.  But the mat I have for under his bowl stand thingie has his name on it!  

Priceless.  Smiley Happy

But the bottom line is that the money is going to charity anyway, not that it is any of our business.  Smiley Wink