Honored Contributor

Joan River's dog's bowl sells for $14,000

0623-joan-rivers-christies-auction-spike-dog-bowl-01

0623-joan-rivers-spike-dog-GETTY-02

Joan Rivers turned someone's dog into a major baller ... 'cause Fido's gonna be drinking or eating out of a sterling silver dog bowl that mommy and daddy dropped $14k to get!

The Tiffany and Co. bowl belonged to Joan's beloved Spike -- a Yorkie with caviar taste, we're guessing -- and it went for 5 figures during a Christie's auction of a bunch of Joan's stuff.  

The buyer, who might love their pet a little too much, is choosing to remain anonymous for now. Christie's thought the bowl would only get about $800. 

It hasn't been used in quite a while -- Spike died in 2001. He was 17. 

#RIP

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Joan River's dog's bowl sells for $14,000

[ Edited ]

Yikes!  I wish the purchaser had given the $$ to an animal shelter or similar instead.

I remember when Joan used to bring Spike with her on air on QVC.  Didn't realize how long it's been since he passed.

Esteemed Contributor

I am always amazed at what auction items go for. I would love to get that persons thought process on why they wanted it so much. My dog wanted it as an admirer of Spikes but I would only go 50 bucks.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

I wondered if the estimates on some of the items seemed low and than you never know what items will sell for much more!

Was the information about the auction in an article you read?

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew~

so cute! Your dog is an admirer of SpikeSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin

I totally agree that that money would go a long way if it was distributed to animal rescue groups either by the purchaser (instead of buying it) or by the seller, Melissa.

Like she needs the money.......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@KingstonsMom

I wondered if the estimates on some of the items seemed low and than you never know what items will sell for much more!

Was the information about the auction in an article you read?

@Butterfly12

Source:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/23/joan-rivers-auction-dog-bowl/

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@DoneTryin

I totally agree that that money would go a long way if it was distributed to animal rescue groups either by the purchaser (instead of buying it) or by the seller, Melissa.

Like she needs the money.......

------------

I read somewhere that a very large chunk of the money is going to Joan's favorite charities. Meals on Wheels for one. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Yikes!  I wish the purchaser had given the $$ to an animal shelter or similar instead.

I remember when Joan used to bring Spike with her on air on QVC.  Didn't realize how long it's been since he passed.

It's possible the person has given more than that to an animal shelter. That's clearly a person with money to spare.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have said this before, but I'll say it again.  I get that people can spend their own money in their own way, but meanwhile that $14K could have been used for a far better purpose.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York