Respected Contributor

Re: Jim Carey, Really?

[ Edited ]

tt's funny, though, when celebrities say something that people agree with, they think it's brilliant and wonderful.  As soon as they say something with an unpopular point of view, all of a sudden they're stupid.

I don't agree with Carrey on this topic, but celebrities are encouraged by the fact that most of their statements are met with positive reactions from the public, so that only encourages them to be more vocal with all of their opinions.  

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

"tt's funny, though, when celebrities say something that people agree with, they think it's brilliant and wonderful.  As soon as they say something with an unpopular point of view, all of a sudden they're stupid".

This is one of those subjects that shouldn't be based on a point of view. 

It should be based on science and evidence.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

"tt's funny, though, when celebrities say something that people agree with, they think it's brilliant and wonderful.  As soon as they say something with an unpopular point of view, all of a sudden they're stupid".

This is one of those subjects that shouldn't be based on a point of view. 

It should be based on science and evidence.

I'm sure his opinion is based on science and evidence.  Not all scientists agree on every topic.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

I really like "The Truman Show".  It's very prophetic, having been released in 1998, predicting  "reality" show world.  His performance is very subdued, not at all like the comedy stuff which I don't enjoy.

Honored Contributor

TG -

"I'm sure his opinion is based on science and evidence."

How can you be sure of that?

And can you point to the scientific evidence you assume he is basing his opinion on? 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Wasn't he involved romantically with an actress,that claimed her son had autism. and she cured him with a special diet.?

I thought at the time if it were that easy no one would have autism. I don't know it they are still a duo or not. It is so scary that we live in a time when self proclaimed experts can have this type of influence

As for Carey my son has always said he is painful to watch

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Wasn't he involved romantically with an actress,that claimed her son had autism. and she cured him with a special diet.?

I thought at the time if it were that easy no one would have autism. I don't know it they are still a duo or not. It is so scary that we live in a time when self proclaimed experts can have this type of influence

As for Carey my son has always said he is painful to watch

He was involved with Jenny McCarthy for a long time.  She got a lot of criticism about her claims, deservedly so.

Jim Carey and Robin Williams are both painful to watch, IMO. 

Esteemed Contributor

I actually enjoyed Jim in the early days. I was a fan of the TV show "In Loving Color" and several of his earlier movies were very entertaining. Then they just became silly, IMO.

With that said, I was watching the news this morning and I heard about his tweet, I just had to shake my head. I think it's highly irresponsible for people/celebrities to make those kinds of statements, without stating the true facts.

I am from California, so perhaps the whole issue bothered me a little more.

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

TG -

"I'm sure his opinion is based on science and evidence."

How can you be sure of that?

And can you point to the scientific evidence you assume he is basing his opinion on? 

Seriously, Noel?  I stated that I do not agree with him, but in the scientific community, there are all sorts of theories and opinions.  Carrey obviously bases his opinion on those that differ from the popular opinion.  I have no way of knowing where Carrey gets his supporting data, but I have no doubt that there are plenty of scientists and medical experts that do not agree with the consensus.

Respected Contributor

The doctor that tried to tie autism with vaccinations was discredited.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames