Trusted Contributor

Re: Jill said her credit card was scammed in England during Spring Break

@tough_kitty wrote:
Peter, thanks for the info. I didn't watch Q today and I haven't even heard of Harrod's so to me it means nothing, which actually empathizes your point! The name of the store shouldn't be important....

To Jill it does. Major yawn, name dropper, and I don't believe her.

Honored Contributor

If they're selling virus protection and/or backup hardware, every host who presents it will tell you that they had a HD crash or lost all their precious family photos, or it was their BFF or aunt or whoever who lost it all. They cannot sell a product like that, or the RFID products, without claiming that just what you all should fear most actually happened to them or someone close to them.

It's just sales bee ess. It irritates many of us but it apparently convinces and reassures many more, who actually believe it and buy one of whatever for everyone they know. And the beat goes on.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

I was hanging with her, giving the benefit of the doubt, until she said it took "weeks" to straighten out. Then, I felt like I was truly being lied to. 

Granted, I know it is a pain and scary any time an unauthorized transaction occurs, but "weeks"? I dunno.....

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it seems that almost every host has a personal story about their credit cards getting scammed.

Didn't watch all of YHWJ, but by the product listing, it looks like it was a very very dull show.
Honored Contributor

I don't know whether Jill was telling the truth but it is odd that with all the differnent RFID products that QVC offers and has for a while that she wouldn't have purchased one - especially for travel out of the`country.

I do know that some banks seem to resolve these issues faster than others. From my observation and comments that people have made, it may depend on what bank issued your card. If it's a larger well-known bank, they move faster than some of the smaller local establishments.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Valued Contributor

Tique wrote:

I don't know whether Jill was telling the truth but it is odd that with all the differnent RFID products that QVC offers and has for a while that she wouldn't have purchased one - especially for travel out of the`country.

I do know that some banks seem to resolve these issues faster than others. From my observation and comments that people have made, it may depend on what bank issued your card. If it's a larger well-known bank, they move faster than some of the smaller local establishments.

So, if it was a major credit card from a bigger bank, then her story doesn't seem to be true... and if it is a smaller bank, then I'd think it would be better protected and not allow the transaction to go throuh if it was made out of the country. 

Either way, the selling techniques probably work on many. Fortunately, some of us have more common sense....

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if Jill lied but she did exaggerate. I have had one credit card fraud in 54 years . For $8.00 someone was using for gas. The bank fixed it in less than an hour. If it took weeks then she has a crappie bank. With her income and credit she is in VIP status so I am not buing it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Super Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
I think there was some exaggeration going on in order to sell more of the product, plain and simple.

It does sound fishy. Why wouldn't she of gotten an alert IF that much was charged! Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

I think I wouldn't want to be a QVC host these days.  It seems that most of them who present these RFID items have been victims!    (Just another sales technique, IMHO.)

Respected Contributor

Those of you skeptical about the "weeks" to straighten out" - perhaps she wasn't just talking about getting the $$ restored.

I had a card hacked.  I monitor everything, with text alerts for any charge and caught the charges, they were all local so my bank didn't notice it as unusual.  The charges were immediately reversed and card cancelled.  It was the card I had my regular bills auto-paid with, so I had to go to each site and update that info, missed one...what a mess.  They don't notify you if your payment doesn't go through - according to their customer service, they have "too many customers to do that...."

That took some fixing to get the payment refused charge waived.

Then comes the paperwork I had to fill out and return to the bank fraud unit.

I would imagine having it happen while on vacation would add to the stress and time to remedy everything.  Could it be a "sales pitch" of course, she's a sales woman, but it also could be true.