Respected Contributor

Re: Jill's ""moment"" with that cake

Scottie Absolutely thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 7/23/2014 cater said:

First Scottie I have to get a dome type cake pan then I will be ready. Going to look in some of these collection of cook books I have here. Surely that cake baker is not the only person who has ever made that cake. But darn it that cake really looks like I want some right now . I am a coconut person and as long as there is coconut in some thing I will take it even coconut shrimp.

I was wondering how the home baker would get the coconut custard into the cake. Yeah, it's pricey.
Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 cater said:

Birddrops don't you think that is a lot of money for a cake? The cake alone is $48. almost $49. plus shipping Wow that is a lot in my thinking. how much could it cost to make it I wonder.

Cater, that cake is 4 lbs 12 oz for 48.96 with free shipping. A little too rich for my blood. I think a cake like that would be relatively easy to make. I wonder if you could bake it in a stainless steel mixing bowl, and then cut the layers.

As an aside, on the Sweet Endings website the cake is seven lbs for $60.00 plus shipping. Sure looks good though.

Respected Contributor

Here you go Cater!

GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

1/3 CUP SUGAR

3 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH

1-½ CUPS MILK

1 4-OZ. BAR GERMAN SWEET COOKING CHOCOLATE CUT UP

1 TABLESPOON BUTTER OR MARGARINE (I USE BUTTER )

2 EGG YOLKS, BEATEN

1 TEASPOON VANILLA

1 9 INCH BAKED PIE SHELL

1 EGG BEATEN

1 5-½ OZ. CAN EVAPORATED MILK (2/3 CUP)

½ CUP SUGAR

¼ CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE (I USE BUTTER)

1 (3-½ OZ) CAN FLAKED COCONUT

½ CUP CHOPPED PECANS

IN A MEDIUM SAUCEPAN, COMBINE 1/3 CUP SUGAR AND CONRSTARCH. STIR IN MILK, CHOCOLATE AND 1 TABLESPOON BUTTER. COOK AND STIR UNTIL THICKENED AND BUBBLY. REDUCE HEAT; COOK AND STIR 2 MINUTES MORE. GRADUALLY STIR ABOUT 1 CUP OF THE HOT MIXTURE INTO EGG YOLKS. RETURN MIXTURE TO SAUCEPAN; BRING TO BOILING. COOK AND STIR 2 MINUTES MORE. STIR IN VANILLA. TURN HOT PIE FILLING INTO BAKED PIE SHELL.

IN ANOTHER SAUCEPAN, COMBINE BEATEN EGG, EVAPORATED MILK, ½ CUP SUGAR AND ¼ CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE. COOK AND STIR OVER MEDIUM HEAT JUST UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS THICKENED AND BUBBLY. STIR IN COCONUT AND PECANS. SPREAD PECAN MIXTURE EVENLY OVER CHOCOLATE FILLING. COOL ON A WIRE RACK; CHILL THOROUGHLY. MAKES 10 SERVINGS.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Scottie I will definitely be making this pie. This looks like it will be a hit with my family. I'd make it tonight but some here has gone to bed and I don't want to be making a bunch of noise out here in my kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Birddrops I have every size of stainless steel bowls but I never tried to bake in one of them I wonder if it would work to bake in them.

Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 cater said:

Thank you Scottie I will definitely be making this pie. This looks like it will be a hit with my family. I'd make it tonight but some here has gone to bed and I don't want to be making a bunch of noise out here in my kitchen.

My girls are crazy about it. I have to make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I just talked to my sister on the phone and she said ""when you going to make it?"" I said soon so I guess this weekend I will make this pie and try to figure out the cake.

Valued Contributor

I love coconut cake or coconut cream pie!!! love he shreds!
Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 cater said:

Birddrops I have every size of stainless steel bowls but I never tried to bake in one of them I wonder if it would work to bake in them.

Well, I don't know what cake you are talking about, but baking a cake in a stainless steel bowl sounded so odd, I just looked it up. Yep, who knew?