Honored Contributor

Re: Jessica Simpson reveals...

Telling your story with addictions helps the story-teller as well as the reader.  Learning of others' over-come their demons (we all have them) provides motivation and encourages the possibility to heal.  I read Rich Roll's book and even though his issues aren't mine, I could relate to his struggles and championed his efforts to break through.  I think of his difficult time in his life and his efforts sometimes when I'm in a challenge.  We choose our heroes, some we don't relate - each of us is different, and role models and those who have experienced trials and beat the difficulties can be a motivating and produce life-altering changes in how we approach our struggles.

(I am not, however, interested books/speeches on hollywood politics.) 

@BrandiDavis  My respect as always.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Who cares???

Her revelations don't make me like her more...or less. 

Why do celebs think we need to know every sad detail?  Trying to showthey are like us?

Fail. 

If you don't care, why start a thread on it?   Good for her getting control of her life.  What's not to like about that?

@Hoovermom  I saw the story, I had an opinion and I posted a thread about it.

Yes, good for her getting control of her life.

I don't have to know/care about the story.  And I have the right to express my opinion...here.

@IG S e x ual abuse too?  I was holding my breath for that but only heard about drugs and alcohol.  The fact that she's revealing abuse makes me want to add "Oh brother!"  THAT "revelation" has been repeated so often it's almost trite.

I applaud any and all who have kicked their "demons" and those struggling to do so.  I just don't know how many of them will buy a book to read about the struggles of a celebrity.

Maybe she'll take this book and speak her experience to groups of people that are dealing with similar things.  Doubt it.  Probably the regular book tour, discount table, the end.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

Don't read? I'm not diminishing anyone's voice but people come on here to say who just had kittens, whose spouse died, who has a nosy neighbor... people read theeir thoughts, get invested, share advice. No difference. You just sound bitter with a need to be heard? Noted. 

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom  @Nbo  @Sadiesadie  @phoenixbrd 

Ty all so much!! How nice of you to take the time to even say anything at all...I really appreciate it!! Heart

~ Hope in TN ~
Esteemed Contributor

Wisdom comes with age and JS is getting older. If she can help one person, terrific. I wouldn't buy her book or watch a Lifetime Movie about it but hope she can help someone.

I'm trying to do better in my own life trusting other people's intentions - not to be fooled - I'm tough to fool - but do better not judging others' intentions. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

And yet here you are complaining about her. Providing exactly what she's aiming for.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

She's not even famous anymore but her blah blah blah regarding her weight loss is meant for some weight loss company, fitness company to hire her to push their products.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

WHAT? what is she revealing?  is it a new clothing line??

@tsavorite 

That she was sexually molested by a 'family friend' when she was 6 years old.

That trauma led to her drug and alcohol addiction later in life.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think telling your personal stories about the struggles you have or have gone through in your life is somewhat brave. But I also think you need to choose your audience wisely. Not everyone will accept or believe you and some people will judge you...forever.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

WHAT? what is she revealing?  is it a new clothing line??

@tsavorite It's stuff she is revealing to sell books and get on talk shows.  .  . I would expect.