Honored Contributor

Jesse Jackson hospitalized after fall at Howard University

[ Edited ]

[As I age, I sense that anything can happen at anytime.  There is a certain fragility that comes with the territory.  Probably the strongest contributor to his fall is that he suffers from Parkinson's, which can cause those who suffer from it to lose their balance.  I hope he is on the mend and feels energetic once more.]

WTOP News

CHICAGO (AP) — The Rev. Jesse Jackson was hospitalized Monday in Washington, D.C. after falling and hitting his head while helping Howard University students who are protesting living conditions on campus, according to a spokesman.

The 80-year-old Chicago civil rights leader was entering a campus building when he fell and hit his head, according to Jackson spokesman Frank Watkins.

Jackson’s staff took him to Howard University Hospital for various tests including a CT scan which came back normal. Watkins said Jackson would be kept at the hospital overnight for observation.

“Family, he’s resting comfortably and doing well,” Santita Jackson, one of Jackson’s daughters, posted on Twitter along with a story from The Grio about his fall.

Jackson was attending a meeting with Howard President Wayne A.I. Frederick and the students, who were discussing their complaints about living conditions, according to Watkins.

Jackson, who has Parkinson’s disease, has already been hospitalized twice this year. He checked into a Chicago hospital for a breakthrough COVID-19 infection in August and required weeks of physical therapy as COVID affected his Parkinson’s and his ability to walk and talk. He also underwent gallbladder surgery earlier in the year.

Since being released from the hospital for COVID-19 treatment and physical therapy, Jackson has resumed an active travel and public speaking schedule.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Jesse Jackson hospitalized after fall at Howard University

Thank you.  Prayers for Rev. Jackson and his family.  

Honored Contributor

Falls are no good!!  One small note, especially if you tend to someone a "senior", shoe bottoms that are like the bottom of tennis shoes, do not slide over carpet.  This will trip you up, if you drag a foot.  So have that in mind, to include slippers.  The tread will not slide on carpet!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Falls are no good!!  One small note, especially if you tend to someone a "senior", shoe bottoms that are like the bottom of tennis shoes, do not slide over carpet.  This will trip you up, if you drag a foot.  So have that in mind, to include slippers.  The tread will not slide on carpet!

An excellent point, and if you or a Loved One has become the dreaded "Fall Risk", you (or others), may benefit from an assessment from a physical therapist and/or occupational therapist who has expertise and training in geriatric ambulation/mobility.

In some cases of Parkinson's, unexpected falls can be a first symptom of the disease.

Honored Contributor

@violann 

I agree about physical therapy, it can be a game changer!

DH's Mom is elderly and was having a problem "not being able to feel one leg/foot" and would fall.

We feared a neurological problem, but after seeing her Dr., he said she needed physical therapy for 6 weeks (just ended 2 weeks ago) and the change was amazing!

She now always feels her left leg and foot and hasn't stumbled or fell once since she started the PT!

They also taught her some PT that she can do herself at home, to keep up the improvement.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Glad I posted this because you posters have given some sound and helpful advice.

Respected Contributor

It's always a worry as we age. I'm on blood thinners and worry about especially falling and hitting my head.

Trusted Contributor

Jesse Jackson is getting up in years; add the Parkinson's and his past health problems and he is very vulnerable to falls. Wonder if he uses a cane to help if his gait isn't always stable. I am sure he always has staff with him to help; he is fortunate to have that.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Glad I posted this because you posters have given some sound and helpful advice.

@golding76 

I agree, I'm glad you posted this thread too!Heart

Anytime we can help our friends here with our experience and advice is a good thing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like his CT Scan came back in the normal range. That's a good thing. A few body bruises? Not a big deal to this older man.

Get well Reverend.  

hckynut 

hckynut(john)