Honored Contributor

Re: Jerry Lewis Has Passed Away At 91

@beach-mom wrote:

@PlaidPants2and @Moonchilde - I never knew Bing Crosby did anything like this! I thought he was the perfect father.

I remember seeing the Rat Pack movie when they portrayed Dean Martin as a loyal husband who didn't drink much. I also remember reading, although he was known as a party boy who liked to drink on his TV show, he actually was drinking apple juice and acting "drunk." Please tell me he was a good person. My uncle really liked him, and I watched the show with him sometimes when we'd visit them. 

@beach-mom, I can tell you that of the two, who were "hot" both as a duo and after they went their own way when my mother was in her 30s & 40s, my mother had no use for Jerry and adored Dean, until the day he died. I have always heard that the "charming lush" persona was at least to some degree an act. I know he seems to have adored his kids. My mother and stepfather were big Rat Pack followers.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@beach-mom, I can tell you that of the two, who were "hot" both as a duo and after they went their own way when my mother was in her 30s & 40s, my mother had no use for Jerry and adored Dean, until the day he died. I have always heard that the "charming lush" persona was at least to some degree an act. I know he seems to have adored his kids. My mother and stepfather were big Rat Pack followers.

Thanks @Moonchilde! I'm glad to hear this. My parents were more Sinatra fans, but as I said my uncle watched Dean Martin. I've seen a few of his movies (without Jerry Lewis) on TV. I never really watched Jerry Lewis movies - not that crazy about slapstick. I like reading about the old Hollywood days though, and I remember reading how Dean Martin adored his family. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember quite a few ago going to the Browns hotel with my parents .[upstate NY] Jerry Lewis was appearing there. He was so funny,I grew up with his funny movies too. Anyway, my father had a loud wonderful laugh so Jerry Lewis brought him on stage and was joking around with my dad at the end of the show Jerry Lewis went into his pocket and brought out a white handkerchief with his name monogrammed on it. and my dad gave it to me. I still have this handkerchief and it is a  wonderful memory for me. I miss the telethons on Labor day  just not the same without Jerry Lewis .. I feel like a wonderful era is over and done with. So many wonderful people are gone now.. the world will be a little less funny now. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

My first cousin was married to Gig Young for about a minute. They had a little girl. Gig went on to another marriage and, as some will remember, killed his wife and then himself.

From what my family told me, he left his daughter $10.

@suzyQ3 - When I read your post, the name sounded familiar, although I didn't think I'd ever seen him in anything. But I knew the name. So I looked on IMDB. I'm a big Elizabeth Montgomery fan, and that is where I recognized the name - as one of her husbands. Then I read what I think is the name of your cousin Elaine Young. Was she ever on The Tonight Show? And was she the "realtor to the stars"? I think I remember reading about her and seeing her on a talk show once. I used to watch Jay Leno once in a while, so maybe that was it. IIRC she looked like a Hollywood star, with her blonde perfectly set hair, and perfect makeup and dress.

Reading the bio of Mr. Young - so sad. Alcohol does terrible things to some people, especially when they're addicted. 

@beach-mom, I'll try to be brief, but no promises. :-)

Yes, Elaine was my first cousin. She was indeed dubbed the Realtor to the Stars.

She was enough older than I that I didn't have too much contact with her. She was a cute young girl who became a Hollywood obsessed teen and woman (our families were enmeshed in those Hollywood days).  I remember seeing her at a family gathering when she was in her 20s. She looked like a Jayne Mansfield wannabe.

She dragged her own daughter along for the ride, anything for the limelight. I'll never forget seeing her daughter Jennifer on some talk show about white slavery. Supposedly she was a victim. I say supposedly because of their penchant for press. A few years later I saw her again on one of those shows, this time I think that it was about rejected children of celebrities.

Her mother Elaine is also known for being one of the most horrifically botched person from an abundance of cosmetic procedures. She seriously looked like a monster later in life. In fact, her death was attributed to a cancer that developed on her face due to the work.

To me, she was just as sad of a figure as was Gig.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@PlaidPants2and @Moonchilde - I never knew Bing Crosby did anything like this! I thought he was the perfect father.

I remember seeing the Rat Pack movie when they portrayed Dean Martin as a loyal husband who didn't drink much. I also remember reading, although he was known as a party boy who liked to drink on his TV show, he actually was drinking apple juice and acting "drunk." Please tell me he was a good person. My uncle really liked him, and I watched the show with him sometimes when we'd visit them. 

@beach-mom, there were few saints in the business. Think Bob Hope was a great person? Think again. He was a notorious philanderer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

My first cousin was married to Gig Young for about a minute. They had a little girl. Gig went on to another marriage and, as some will remember, killed his wife and then himself.

From what my family told me, he left his daughter $10.

@suzyQ3 - When I read your post, the name sounded familiar, although I didn't think I'd ever seen him in anything. But I knew the name. So I looked on IMDB. I'm a big Elizabeth Montgomery fan, and that is where I recognized the name - as one of her husbands. Then I read what I think is the name of your cousin Elaine Young. Was she ever on The Tonight Show? And was she the "realtor to the stars"? I think I remember reading about her and seeing her on a talk show once. I used to watch Jay Leno once in a while, so maybe that was it. IIRC she looked like a Hollywood star, with her blonde perfectly set hair, and perfect makeup and dress.

Reading the bio of Mr. Young - so sad. Alcohol does terrible things to some people, especially when they're addicted. 

@beach-mom, I'll try to be brief, but no promises. :-)

Yes, Elaine was my first cousin. She was indeed dubbed the Realtor to the Stars.

She was enough older than I that I didn't have too much contact with her. She was a cute young girl who became a Hollywood obsessed teen and woman (our families were enmeshed in those Hollywood days).  I remember seeing her at a family gathering when she was in her 20s. She looked like a Jayne Mansfield wannabe.

She dragged her own daughter along for the ride, anything for the limelight. I'll never forget seeing her daughter Jennifer on some talk show about white slavery. Supposedly she was a victim. I say supposedly because of their penchant for press. A few years later I saw her again on one of those shows, this time I think that it was about rejected children of celebrities.

Her mother Elaine is also known for being one of the most horrifically botched person from an abundance of cosmetic procedures. She seriously looked like a monster later in life. In fact, her death was attributed to a cancer that developed on her face due to the work.

To me, she was just as sad of a figure as was Gig.

@suzyQ3

thanks for sharing those memories.

i just watched a video of her on youtube.....actually, there are several.

it seems like she was a "star" in her own right in her profession.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After recently watching 'Boeing, Boeing', I realized that Mr. Lewis also played a non-slap-stick character; and did so very, very well.   What a fun movie!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Hope there's a tell all book in the works.

I read where Gig Young had a vasectomy and when a woman tried to trap him in court he bought in his Dr. who did the procedure and the gal had to leave with egg on her face.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Hope there's a tell all book in the works.

I read where Gig Young had a vasectomy and when a woman tried to trap him in court he bought in his Dr. who did the procedure and the gal had to leave with egg on her face.

@SharkE, this brings back some memories. The woman of which you speak was actually my cousin Elaine. I do recall my parents talking about the case. And I remember my mother deciding that Jennifer was not Gig Young's child. But I can tell you that I thought she looked very much like him.

And no, Elaine didn't leave the courtroom with egg on her face. His countersuit was dismised.

Young’s only child, Jennifer Young, was considered a miracle by some and a fluke by her father. As reported by The Pittsburgh Press on 23 February 1971, Young filed a counter-suit against his fourth wife, Elaine Williams, contesting the child support judgment she’d received to care for their daughter, who was six at the time. Young contested the ruling on the basis of paternity. Before he served in the Coast Guard as a pharmacist’s mate during WWII, Young got a vasectomy in 1938 at age 25, to address an undisclosed medical issue. The case was dismissed.

Young still had to pay but in his own way, he’d have the last laugh several years later. Jennifer Young’s name came up again in the press when the Heidi Fleiss scandal broke. For a time in the mid-‘90s, Young had roomed with Fleiss. There is no concrete evidence that Young worked for the prostitution ring, but the association with Fleiss was less than favorable. When he died, Gig Young left behind a $200,000.00 estate. Jennifer Young received $10 from this estate, as stipulated by her father’s will.

I posted that very insulting heritance in an earlier post.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was very responsible of him to take that step as opposed to sleeping around , not taking precautions ala  Charlie Sheen, etc.

After he proved himself that put the word out to others who might be thinking the same thing. Shame, more men, if they're gonna play and don't want any kids to take that step. Takes 2 to tango.

I wasn't aware he had any kids. Guess he slipped up one time. 

Confusing, Hard to find books on him