Honored Contributor

Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher for the Hwange Lion Research Project, will be checking on Jericho in the morning (about 10 a.m. Zimbabwe time, as I understand it).    Cecil and Jericho lived in Hwange Park.

Here is the Reuters report (a pretty reliable source):

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/01/us-zimbabwe-wildlife-lion-jericho-idUSKCN0Q63CQ20150801

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@evelomaddict wrote:

i hope this is the case but does that mean another one was murdered? I hate big game hunting.

here's a very recent tweet from the zimbabwe consevatory:

CecilTheLion Jericho was alive and well this afternoon! Jericho is safe! He will protect CecilTheLion 's cubs!! Zimbabwe

it's now 10:30 p.m. in zimbabwe. 

Most likely. And to me, it doesn't matter which lion it is. I can't believe the dentist's saying that he was upset when he found out it was Cecil.

It doesn't matter which lion or tiger or elephant is slaughtered for sport. Celebrity status shouldn't confer some kind of weird bizarro world protection. No such killing should ever occur in this manner.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

It does matter a little more when the lion is known as it personalizes it more.   But, no lion or animal should be hunted and tortured for sport and a trophy.  Cecil brought attention to the plight of all animals who are illegally hunted as he had a face and a name. It isn't that he is valued more than any other lion or animal but he was unique in the sense he had a black mane, a rarity and shared the pride with Jericho which is unusual.  Cecil did have 24 Cubs and it seemed Jericho was tending to the animals after Cecile was murdered contrary to animal behavior.  So if Jericho was killed, 24 young lions could have died as well.  The whole story brings attention and awareness to the illegal hunts, the effects on the lion population, this particular pride  and the savages that kill these magnificent animals. People reacted to Cecile because he was beloved and we saw his picture and learned his story. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Jericho might be ALIVE

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

It does matter a little more when the lion is known as it personalizes it more.   But, no lion or animal should be hunted and tortured for sport and a trophy.  Cecil brought attention to the plight of all animals who are illegally hunted as he had a face and a name. It isn't that he is valued more than any other lion or animal but he was unique in the sense he had a black mane, a rarity and shared the pride with Jericho which is unusual.  Cecil did have 24 Cubs and it seemed Jericho was tending to the animals after Cecile was murdered contrary to animal behavior.  So if Jericho was killed, 24 young lions could have died as well.  The whole story brings attention and awareness to the illegal hunts, the effects on the lion population, this particular pride  and the savages that kill these magnificent animals. People reacted to Cecile because he was beloved and we saw his picture and learned his story. 

While I agree with here, I'm still dumbfounded by the dentist's saying that he was upset when he found out that he had killed Cecil. I doubt that he knew or cared about the details you mentioned. I imagine that his underlying concern is the avalanche that is hitting him is due to the celebrity status of the lion he killed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3

Yes, you are correct...I was responding to an earlier post stating that Cecile's life should not be more significant because he was famous and that many lions are killed without world outrage.

Honored Contributor

Re: Jericho might be ALIVE

[ Edited ]

Until it's morning in Zimbabwe, and Mr. Brent Staplekamp (a field researcher) goes to check in person, we are all waiting.  (I'm starting to feel as if I know him.)

By the way, 10:00 a.m. in Zimbabwe is 4:00 a.m. EST (and 1:00 a.m. PST - corrected for Daylight Saving Time).

I found this story tonight that I hadn't seen shared here yet.  Apparently, it may not be true that Jericho is Cecil's brother, but another lion with whom Cecil formed an alliance.  (And how cool is that!)  Some of the cubs may be Jericho's.  This reported on NPR, generally a reliable source.

Link HERE

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Researchers verified and have physically SEEN & photographed Jericho.....he IS alive!

According to the Daily Mail UK:

Jericho the lion, which has reportedly been protecting slain Cecil’s cubs since his death, is alive and well, according to a researcher monitoring the pride.

Reports that the animal had also been killed by a poacher flooded social media overnight.

But Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher for the Hwange Lion Research Project, has confirmed that the GPS-tagged lion appears to be moving around as normal.

A field research team from Oxford University's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit was

able to trace and photograph Jericho early this morning.

Alive and well: Jericho the lion, who has been caring for the cubs of slain lion Cecil, was spotted and photographed early this morning by a field research team from WildCRU

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Jericho IS ALIVE

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @KingstonsMom

That's the first news I looked for this am when I woke up!  What an excellent way to start the day!  I knew you would have reported it even before I logged in here.  Great news!  I wish we could all go out for brunch together to celebrate.

Respected Contributor

Thank you IG. I bet there are a lot of red faces but it's great news. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Jericho confirmed alive. Nice photo of him and Cecil included:

http://www.people.com/article/cecil-the-lion-brother-jericho-killed