Respected Contributor

Re: Jeopardy's Latest Whiz Kid!

@J Town Girl wrote:

@gellen wrote:

I agree with previous posters who find him annoying.  He is just a little too smug for me.  I am not watching the main part of the program; but must admit I switch back for final Jeopardy!

I guess we are in the minority but I also find him a bit smug.  At first I didn't mind seeing him win but now I'm just waiting for someone to dethrone him.   I don't enjoy the show when it's all about just one person.   Those personal notes that he has to add on his final answer are just obnoxious.  I don't care to see that it's so and so's birthday.   

I was hoping that the other guy who was on Thursday night (the one who drove a wolf around DC) might be the one to bounce him out.   He started out strong and then fell along the wayside.

@J Town Girl  It’s not anyone’s birthday...he’s calculated his final wager to equal a date that corresponds to that person’s birthday. Just more of what some would find smug and I find fascinating Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

As far as I know, quiz show winners do not get their prizes until the last show has aried. I remember Ken Jennings got to a point where he really needed to get back to a normal life and get his money. 

Respected Contributor

I didn't get to watch today (Friday).  I'm assuming he won again?  There have been so many "champions" that I really disliked - Ken Jennings and Austin among them - but I really like this guy for some reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy , your assumption is correct, he did win again on Friday. His score after the Jeopardy round was $22,012 and after the Double Jeopardy round it was $58,148. His final score was $89,158 which gives him a seven day total of $415,035! 

I like James too, but then I tend to like all the champions--Ken, Brad, Austin, Colby, Roger, Alex, Buzzy, Julia, and Matt. I'd better stop there as the list could go on! I love watching these exceptional players, each one different in their own way, but all of them impressive. I especially liked the recent All Star Games with the 3 person teams.

Thanks to @SeaGal for posting the link to The Chase. It was fun to see The Beast's reaction to James! In the end, The Beast was a gracious loser which was nice.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Okay, my fellow Jeopardy fans, who remembers way back when the contestants played 5 days and were done?

One of my absolute favorites was NYC Transit Cop, Frank Spangenberg.  In 1990, in the 5 days he was on, he won $100,000.  

@Its Me LuLuBelle2    ..... I worked in NYC at that time, and he got out a cab right in front of me one evening.  I congratulated him.  He was very gracious, and I think he enjoyed the recognition.

I think of him often and wonder how far he would have gone had Jeopardy not had the 5 day and goodbye rule.

I've also wished they brought him, and other big winners from that era back to play against current champions after the rules changed.

And yes, James did look tired tonight, but the current champs film several games in one day.  

Long live Alex, may he beat the odds against his insidious disease and long live Jeopardy; one of the few broadcast TV shows worth watching!  LuLu

AGREED!  I have a friend who just beat the odds..... declare cancer free after about 1.5 years of he11ish treatment.  Everytime I watch, I wonder how he is doing.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  You sound just like me, but I cannot think fast enough to be a jeapardy contestant.  I know many things and usually get final jeopardy because there are 30 seconds to get the answer.  

I wonder how difficult it will be for his daughter, because I would find having such a smart parent daunting.

@SXMGirl The daughter could be just as smart, and this is just a game show.  That said, I have a friend whose father won a Nobel Prize in a science category.  My friend is super smart and very accomplished, but the father is a hard act to follow.  It's not the parent's expectations, but rather the kids trying to prove themselves.  It's nearly impossible to live up to that kind of achievement.  

Trusted Contributor

A new one day record and something like $697,000 total!  This guy is phenomenal.  I think he's kinda cute too.  That weird smile is due to an underbite like a bulldog's.  Maybe they should have a limit of one million.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

@Deree, I'm glad you're enjoying James too. But nope, I don't want to see limits imposed. DH and I are waiting for James to shatter Ken's $2.5 million regular play record, in a whole lot less time than Ken's 74 days.

I do however feel bad for the other competitors going up against James. But remember, someone eventually ended Ken's run. LuLu
Esteemed Contributor

I was going to post yesterday's show was a must see for fans but got busy. Who knew that today he would be even more amazing? Smiley Happy

For those who don't want to know what his final record breaking score was today I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler
Final Score: $71,114 + $60,013 = $131,127!
Under his correct response of Atticus Finch in Final Jeopardy he wrote 
"This is for you Granny <3." So sweet! Heart

I agree with you regarding no limits @Its Me LuLuBelle2. Remember that woman who brought Ken's reign to an end? Me either...she turned out to be a one hit wonder. She will, however, always have the designation of being the one who beat Ken Jennings. I remember how much we enjoyed watching Ken. People like James, Ken, Brad, and the like totally blow my mind (in a good way!). 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2, your "Who knew that today he would be even more amazing? Smiley Happy" is a little bit of a spoiler in and of itself. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland