Honored Contributor

Re: Jeopardy's Latest Whiz Kid!

He seemed tired today, I think it has to be very difficult to keep up the pace day after day. His winnings are terrific and he is really smart.
Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:
He seemed tired today, I think it has to be very difficult to keep up the pace day after day. His winnings are terrific and he is really smart.

I think i recall that they shoot two or three games a day so today may have been the last of the day.  Also there were clearly several categories that he steered clear of and let the other two have them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I'm out in left field here but I don't like this guy.  Yes, I was happy for him that he won the big bucks on today's program, but I don't find him likeable.  He's answering ALL the questions so its ALL HIM, all the time and he works backwards on the boards going for the big bucks first and hoping to hit those Daily Doubles.  He jumps from category to category extracting the high $ value questions and it makes me very anxious.  I don't enjoy when they play that way.  Thank goodness he's not holding the buzzer out in front and pressing the button like a maniac like some do.  I find that untolerable.  If he continues on winning, and it looks like he will, I'll have to watch something else until he's gone. 

There is also a thread on this in TV and Movies forum.

Good grief! He's playing to win. That's the point of the game.

I don't think there is yet a law against playing to win.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

jellyBEAN,

As written in prior posts above, this guy is a professional sports gambler now living in Las Vegas, and he majored in math.  I think you astutely pointed out his "formula" for gaming the system so that he can make the biggest money grab possible.  

It's called strategy. And it's a good one. 

Valued Contributor

Okay, my fellow Jeopardy fans, who remembers way back when the contestants played 5 days and were done?

One of my absolute favorites was NYC Transit Cop, Frank Spangenberg.  In 1990, in the 5 days he was on, he won $100,000.  I think of him often and wonder how far he would have gone had Jeopardy not had the 5 day and goodbye rule.

I've also wished they brought him, and other big winners from that era back to play against current champions after the rules changed.

And yes, James did look tired tonight, but the current champs film several games in one day.  

Long live Alex, may he beat the odds against his insidious disease and long live Jeopardy; one of the few broadcast TV shows worth watching!  LuLu

Trusted Contributor

I have never heard of someone having a career of being a professional gambler. Is that a real thing?

It sounds kind of risky to me since he has a family. 

Respected Contributor

Jeopardy has been on since I was a little girl and I remember Art Fleming being the host.  It was on at noon, so if I was lucky enough to be sick or able to go home from school for lunch for some reason, that is when I saw it.

I think term limits are a good idea, and for more things than just this show.  I would say 10 times (equivalent of 2 weeks) would be good as a contestant on Jeopardy.  And then when there is a tournament of champions they could of course return. 

Glad for all of you who njoy this guy.  Looks like he'll be on for quite awhile.  I won't be watching.  Just don't find him likeable or njoyable or entertaining in any way.  He's like watching a machine, no personality.  A real know it all.  BORING!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont watch Jeopardy but have caught quite a few episodes of The Chase reruns on the Game Show Channel so when I saw his name here I googled to see who he is. I did indeed see the episode he was on from 2014, it was a fun episode, he seemed personable enough that day. If you would like to see the episode, he was the last of 3 cash builders to bank for the chase so this is his turn and then the chase round which was incredible to see!! Not very often does the team beat the Beast but here they cleaned his clock, and the host (love her, Brooke Burns) thoroughly enjoyed herself!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_Kjr5lySQ

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This fella does have an odd set of teeth (almost shark-like) and a creepy smile.  Still, I will continue to watch as I enjoy trying to keep my mind sharp.  (Dullness is winning -- too often for my self-competitive ways.  I find that it helps if I hit the "pause" button and give myself a few more moments.)

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie 

@Shawnie wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I think i recall that they shoot two or three games a day so today may have been the last of the day.  Also there were clearly several categories that he steered clear of and let the other two have them.  

We noticed that too.  He was so far ahead we thought he just took a little break and let the other two play.