Valued Contributor

Jeopardy's Latest Whiz Kid!

[ Edited ]

James Holzhauer, the 34 year old professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, SHATTERED the previous 1 day winning total of $77,000 set in 2010 tonight to win an eye watering $110,914. His 4 day total is now $244,365.

This young man is astoundingly smart on every single subject on the board AND has serious guts when it comes to wagering. DH and I love Jeopardy, but when you have a person like this, it adds to the excitement and experience. Rock on James, rock on! We're certainly rooting for you. LuLu

Honored Contributor

Re: Jeopardy's Latest Whiz Kid!

Yes, those professional sports gamblers certainly are a different breed.

Honored Contributor

LuLu,

This guy has knocked my socks off with his all-encompassing general knowledge and bold wagers.  You're right, this sort of contender adds an extra layer of richness to the Jeopardy-viewing experience.

And no nerves...  

Honored Contributor

Watch out Ken Jennings.

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  I am amazed just watching him.  He must have an eidetic memory to know so much about everything.  If next year they have that challenge of winners, I know what team I will pick.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

He is amazing! 

We are having so much fun watching him and oh, those wages!  I love when you hear the audience gasping.

The broad range of knowledge that he has is astounding.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

The first day he was on, I fully expected Alex to mention something about there being a mistake on his previous appearance and he was invited back.  He was so familiar to me I was sure he was on before.  Now after three days of no mention, I looked it up.  He has been on The Chase and on 500 Questions.  I knew that I had seen him before Man Happy

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  I am amazed just watching him.  He must have an eidetic memory to know so much about everything.  If next year they have that challenge of winners, I know what team I will pick.

@SXMGirl, my DH said the same exact thing.  But dang girl, I'm an extremely avid reader, history being my big thing, I'm a huge news junky and I don't think I'm a dummy, but how can you possibly be exposed to the amount of information this guy spits out?  Did he hear it on the news once?  Did he read it in passing somewhere?  I'm in awe of Jeopardy contestants in general, but the really good ones (and James is one of the best) have my utmost respect and admiration.  They prove :"smart" never goes out of style!

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  You sound just like me, but I cannot think fast enough to be a jeapardy contestant.  I know many things and usually get final jeopardy because there are 30 seconds to get the answer.  

I wonder how difficult it will be for his daughter, because I would find having such a smart parent daunting.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

He's fantastic!  And so gutsy with his wagering.  So exciting to watch!