Trusted Contributor

Re: Jeopardy contestant Arthur Chu

On 2/26/2014 VCamp2748 said:
On 2/26/2014 suzieQ4me said:

I do not agree with his "running up the score" so to speak. He could have backed off a bit toward the end yesterday and let the players who had $18,000 LESS than him have a better chance at making a bit of money. I guess the $135,000 he had accumulated was not enough, so he kept going at it fast and furious!! All this is only my opinion. He is a very smart guy, and my main complaint is just that he wasn't a good sport toward the other players. Again, just my opinion and the way I saw it.

They're all in it to win. Do you think people like Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey, Donald Trump, Mark Cuban & the like ever even considered "backing off" so someone else could win?

No one is talking about those billionaires, just talking about respect when you are playing a game on TV.

Super Contributor

I feel sorry for him. How sad that he is so smart and intelligent.

Anyone watching tonight? he is actually smiling (not smirking) and ""Surprise"" all his opponents are using the same strategy!

Honored Contributor

On 2/25/2014 FUTURE said: I don't get why people don't like him. I LOVE that he's doing something different!!! Definitely not smug. He's just owning it. Smiley Wink

He was on some news show this morning and said he was playing by the rules.....and he is!

Honored Contributor

On 2/25/2014 FUTURE said: I don't get why people don't like him. I LOVE that he's doing something different!!! Definitely not smug. He's just owning it. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

On 2/26/2014 upsidedown said:

He was on some news show this morning and said he was playing by the rules.....and he is!

Exactly! And people are FLlPPING OUT about it. Lol!
Respected Contributor

I wonder if Ken Jennings increased viewer numbers or decreased them? Be interesting to know if a longtime champion is a benefit or hindrance.

I stopped watching when he was on because I lost interest. There are so many shows on and sometimes I get bored when there's a competitor who wins so much. I like to see close scores and different strategies when it comes to Final J wagers. When there's someone who's not in danger of losing, it's not as much fun to watch day after day. JMHO

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2014 Kalli said:

I wonder if Ken Jennings increased viewer numbers or decreased them? Be interesting to know if a longtime champion is a benefit or hindrance.

I stopped watching when he was on because I lost interest. There are so many shows on and sometimes I get bored when there's a competitor who wins so much. I like to see close scores and different strategies when it comes to Final J wagers. When there's someone who's not in danger of losing, it's not as much fun to watch day after day. JMHO

I've not heard about ratings or viewership numbers regarding Mr. Chu's or Mr. Jennings' time on "Jeopardy", but both gentlemen have garnered their fair share of media attention.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched him tonight because of all the hoopla. Except for hopping around the board, he seemed like everyone else to me. The other 2 contestants seemed pretty smart too. None of them, including Chu, got the final question right but he still won the game because they made big bets to try to overtake him, and he made a small one. That was the smartest move he made in the whole show, I thought. He's working hard for it and I respect that.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2014 Kalli said:

I for one lost interest when KJ went on and on and on. I'm feeling the same way with the current contestant. It takes the enjoyment and suspense out of the game (for me) when you know who is going to win each time.
Super Contributor

I think many regular loyal viewers stopped watching Ken J but just as many or more new viewers were attracted to the show because of all the media attention. If I recall correctly, Vegas even was making odds and people were placing bets on when he would finally lose.

I think Ken was way more arrogant than Arthur ever could be. He was "the first" and will never be surpassed. Just ask him. Wink

Does anyone remember the man who came on after KenJ and also amassed a huge fortune and long run? I can see him but can't bring up his name. I thnk I've seen him i the promos for one of the Decade shows still to come.