Super Contributor

Re: Jeopardy contestant Arthur Chu

On 2/25/2014 millieshops said:

I admire his wide range of knowledge and as a frequent Jeopardy watcher, I find his choosing all the high-paying questions when he has the chance to be very cagy. Too bad if that makes him unpopular with those who seem to think contestants have to start at the top of the column and move south.

Besides giving himself a chance to earn more and do it quickly, his technique has the added benefit of throwing the others off and unless there's some rule (and the people I know who have been on the show say it's totally legal and ethical) he's smart, not smug.

I'm even willing to bet we're going to see future players follow his example more and more.

I totally agree with this. He is breaking no rules, and I have to smile at this detractors. Reminds me of stuffed shirts yelling "No, you have to color INSIDE the lines!!"

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

I don't get why people don't like him. I LOVE that he's doing something different!!! Definitely not smug. He's just owning it. Smiley Wink
Super Contributor

On 2/25/2014 millieshops said:

I admire his wide range of knowledge and as a frequent Jeopardy watcher, I find his choosing all the high-paying questions when he has the chance to be very cagy. Too bad if that makes him unpopular with those who seem to think contestants have to start at the top of the column and move south.

Besides giving himself a chance to earn more and do it quickly, his technique has the added benefit of throwing the others off and unless there's some rule (and the people I know who have been on the show say it's totally legal and ethical) he's smart, not smug.

I'm even willing to bet we're going to see future players follow his example more and more.

I agree with you. Just wonder why more contestants haven't figured this out by now. (What is this? The 40th year of this show or something?) About time someone figured out that by getting the most money the soonest, you have more to leverage if you get a daily double.

Sort of like "Survivor" , although they seem to have caught on sooner. After Season One, everyone there has an alliance formed in the first 30 seconds.

Unless Jeopardy decides to change the rules, let the smartest guy/gal win!

Honored Contributor

I enjoy watching him.

My father was on Jeopardy back in the late 60's. I believe in the first round the maximum amount was $50 and in double jeopardy it was $100. He was on 4 days before he was dethroned.

Honored Contributor

I think he is rude and disrespectful. He smirks when other contestants answer incorrectly. He is slovenly and ill mannered.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with his strategy. I think it's a good one. I just don't like him. he just looks like he is very smug and all to self satisfied.
Super Contributor

Good for him! Keep it up!
Honored Contributor

Maybe he can afford to go to a barber for a haircut now.

Super Contributor

On 2/25/2014 Love my grandkids said:

He's playing smart. What's wrong with that?

Exactly

Regular Contributor

On 2/25/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 2/25/2014 RetRN said:

I can not stand him! He is so arrogant and obnoxious. I feel so sorry for all of the contestants who have to appear with him. I honestly think they should all be invited back and given another chance. I can't believe he holds down a real job, I don't know how anyone could work with him.

Could you give me an example of what he has done that is obnoxious and arrogant? I honestly haven't seen it and sometimes a second set of eyes can help point something out to me. My father worked with Asians for many years so maybe I am used to their no nonsense approach to things. They were there to get the work done and leave. I could see how some people would find that type of personality a little dry but not obnoxious or arrogant.

I honestly do not know why someone should be invited back simply because they weren't smart enough either in knowledge or strategy to beat someone the first time though.

No answer to your question, Irshgrl, but she did come back with a dig about his looks. I love how people resort to this when they have nothing to substantiate their statements.