Respected Contributor

Re: Jenny Craig bites the dust....

I know how easy it must be to simply tell patients to lose weight and that's all there is to it If it were that easy, no one would have any weight problems. I am so glad you have found the med that is working for you and helped you find success in losing the weight you wanted to. Chronic obesity is a medical condition and it is good to know some Drs are finally viewing it as such. 

Valued Contributor

@conlt ,

Are they in pill form or injection?

Congratulations on weight loss and remission.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AlsaceGal  I take the Mounjaro Injection 1 X per week, I also take Syndardy 25/1000 tablet daily and vitamin D 2 X per week. This combination has really helped me lose weight. I am down 63 pounds now. My Endocrinologist (who manages my weight loss), put me on this combination of drugs. My A1C was 6.3 so right there at diabetes. So far, my insurance has paid for my medications. Mounjaro is still in the trial phase for being approved for weight loss, but it has worked for me. I am very happy with my progress and my doctor. He really knows his stuff. He does specialize in metabolic weight management. I never had so much help from a physician regarding my weight loss. I have to praise my primary physician too. She sent me to him because she feels like he is the best Endocrinologist in our area. I have to agree. There is a light at the end of this tunnel for me. 

The Mounjaro makes me eat less, about 1/2 of what I ate before. When I first started to take it, I had some nausea but that is no longer a problem. I took Zofran for the nausea. If you decided to do this, I would be sure that I went to a MD that knows how to titrate the dose up, gives you some Zofran in case you get nausea, and knows what blood work to order. 

I know people who are on Mounjaro and their doctors are not titrating the dose up. I started on 2.5 mg x 1 month, then 2.5 mg x 1 month, then 5 mg x 1 month, then 7.5 x 1 month. I have been on 10 mg over several months, but there was a shortage and they gave me a Rx for 12.5 mg. I start on that this coming week. 

I went to my massage therapist yesterday and she said when I walked in, she could really see the difference. Now, I was obese, size 2 X in QVC size, I am down to a XL in most tops right now and even some of those are a little big. 

I will have to stay on Mounjaro for the rest of my life and I plan for that. I am 65 in June, I just signed up for Medicare and part D prescription plan. I did find a prescription plan that pays for it with a copay that I can handle. 

If you have to lose just a little weight, this is probably not for you. Being obese with all the risks of obesity facing me, Monjaro has been a life-saver, without surgery. 

Valued Contributor

@conlt Thank you for your detailed response, I'm heavy but, not diabetic. I'll ask my doctor what she thinks,  Thank you, I'll keep a copy of your experience and reply.

Honored Contributor

I used to always confuse her with Jenny Jones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt wrote:

Also, Trulicity, Mounjaro, Wegovy. I have been on Mounjaro for my diabetes since September 1, 2023 and have lost 60 pounds. My A1C is down to 5.2, normal, and my diabetes is considered in remission. I also take Synjardy which is a pill. I am happy to bre on the shot. I just could not get my health under control but my Endocrinologist and the shot helped me. 

I did have trouble getting my medication in January/February for about 6 weeks. That is because so many are taking it for weight loss. My doctor said that I am the perfect patient to take the shot, diabetic, obese. The shot really changed my life. I will be taking it for the rest of my life. I rarley have cravings anymore. 

Yes,  I've been on Trulicity for weight loss since last August.  I'm down 62lbs.  My bs was always normal but I wasn't losing any weight by diet alone and I couldn't do the type of aerobic exercise that would get my body into weight loss mode.  My doctor suggested Trulicity and the rest is history.  It's crazy, no more cravings.  For the first time in my life, I don't struggle to eat in a healthy way.  I don't suffer with "food grief".  I do have to monitor my calories to ensure that I'm eating enough!  There have been days when I didn't and my daily calories were under 900.  I need to be around 1300 healthy calories to stay healthy. I'm very happy.  I'm also fortunate that my health insurer covers it.  My copay is just $260 a month.  I do wonder when I'll stop losing weight.  I accept I'll have to be on Trulicity or another drug in that class of drugs for life.  In much the same way that I'll be on my thyroid med for life.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree That is wonderful. I agree, I don't struggle not to eat anymore, in fact, sometimes I don't think that I eat enough. I actually crave salads and fruit. Sweets (which I used to love), are an turnoff. 

I think for those who are interested in trying this method of weight loss, talk to your doctor or find a good metabolic program. I know Massachusetts General has 1 as well as others. There are many doctors now that believe, through research that obesity is not a willpower problem but a true metabolic problem. 

Mounjaro is in clinical trials now for weight loss. It is only approved for diabetes. Wegovy, which is the same drug as Ozempic but in a different dose, is approved for weight loss. 

My insurance covers mine now, I paid $0.00 the last 2 months, however, I go on Medicare on June 1, 2023, I did find drug plans that pay for it, but I will have a copay and a higher copay when I get into the coverage gap under Medicare Part D, but I have figured out how to pay for it. My copay will be $45 for a few months, then around $200 while I am in the gap. I know I have to take the medication for my health.

Just to note, I was off of Monjaro x 6 weeks because of the shortage. My appetite started to come back. We must remain on it. I am fine staying on it, I feel that not being obese will lengthen my life. 

Honored Contributor

I am pre diabetic now and have gained a lot of weight since the pandemic shutdown.  I have arthritis but before the shutdown I suffered through the pain of my feet and knees and exercised four or five times a week.  That and WW kept my weight fairly tame.  Right now, my bmi has gotten to 32, in the obese range and I just want to cry.  I can't go back to the intense exercising anymore.  Since I stopped my feet and knees feel much better.  Thing is Medicare won't pay for weight loss drugs and I definitely can't afford it without insurance helping me.  I don't understand why Medicare doesn't consider the drugs as preventive care.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie   Although Medicare won't pay for these drugs for weight loss, you do have two things going for you ironically. The fact that your BMI is over 30 and you're pre-diabetic may qualify you for one of these drugs. You'll need to have your A1C tested to see where you are at. Work with your doctor who will advocate for you. If not, find another doctor.  They are out there and realize that treating chronic obesity is a very real thing. See an endocrinologist if you have to. They can help with prior authorization and even write a letter to Medicare on your behalf stating your case

There are quite a few of these GLP-1 inhibitors that are helping people achieve success with weight loss and lowering their A1C. If you can't afford the medications, there are compounding pharmacies that produce the medication at greatly reduced prices.  There are also online board certified physicians who specialize in the treatment of obesity and treat you through telehealth appointments. I am currently working with my local hospital's Metabolic Weight Loss department and I do all my appointments via telehealth.  I've been on Monjouro for two months now and it's been a game changer.  Put in the effort and don't give up. Your health is worth it. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Linda0215 I agree with you. Find an Endocrinologist or Metabolic doctor who knows how to order the medication for you so your insurance will cover it. I was considered pre-diabetic with a A1C of 6.3. Right on the line. My insurance is covering it. I go on Medicare on June 1, 2023 and found a prescription plan that covers it. 

Funny, I was sent to an Endocrinologist because I have hormone secreting Pituitary Tumors that have been in remission since 2017. My new primary MD sent me to the Endocrinologist because of that. He checked those tumors out and they are still OK. 

He asked me how he could help me and I asked if he could help me lose weight and that is how I ended up on Mounjaro. You are right, it is a game changer for me. I will continue on for the rest of my life with it or until the doctor changes it. I really think it saved my life. 

My point is, there are many doctors now who are specializing in metabolism, go to 1 of those or a good Endocrinologist. 

I know Boston has a metabolic center at Mass General. I live in NE Florida, my Endocrinologist is in Jacksonville if you live close by, I can give you the name.