Honored Contributor

Re: Jay Leno Seriously Burned In Car Fire

@qvcaddition wrote:

I just read it also and feel bad.  He is such a giving person.  I love his program, You Bet Your Life.  He practically give the money away and helps the contestants with the answers, especially with the secret word were they get 500.00.  I DVR it everyday.

I hope him a speedy recovery.  Sending prayers

Get well, Jay, you are a nice person .

I heard on news that one side of his face was burned, but didn,t get to his eye.

@qvcaddition 

I haven't heard of this ... what network is it on?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I just read it also and feel bad.  He is such a giving person.  I love his program, You Bet Your Life.  He practically give the money away and helps the contestants with the answers, especially with the secret word were they get 500.00.  I DVR it everyday.

I hope him a speedy recovery.  Sending prayers

Get well, Jay, you are a nice person .

I heard on news that one side of his face was burned, but didn,t get to his eye.

@qvcaddition 

I haven't heard of this ... what network is it on?

Ch,annel  2   Fox  at two Pm  PT also 12:30AM PT. I have been watching for months..

Honored Contributor

He said it was a gasoline fire, so no not an ev. Even human injuries always seen through a single lens by some around here.

"I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire,” read a statement from Leno. “I am OK. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Last I heard on the news last night, was a quote from Jay, that he's ok and will be back next week.  Ahhhhhh, burn ward, we'll see.  That would have scared me to death.  I'm glad it wasn't worse for him.  Any burns are bad.  I know he has a ton of cars, but didn't lose any.  That's still very scary!!

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

I hope there is less damage than this accident suggests.  Prayers for his recovery.

Why would a car erupt in flames?  A faulty electrical system?   Scary stuff.

Wonder if it was an EV - there are more and more reports of them spontaneously combusting.

@Isobel Archer   I read the car was an antique steam car which can use gas and even kerosene.

It is true, however, that there have been reports of EV's catching fire around the world.  The studies are not conclusive if the fires are spontaneous and/or caused by accidents on the road.

Considering there are still more gas powered cars on the road, the stats are much lower right now for EV fires.

Good question, though, and one that should be compared. 

It doesn't mean people are against EV's; just cautious as people are with gas powered vehicles.  Remember the exploding Pintos?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He was working on a 110 year old car when there was a gas leak and a simultaneous spark that led to an explosion. A good friend of Leno's was nearby in the garage. The friend jumped on Leno and smothered the flames. Leno received facial burns but his eyes are OK. 

Respected Contributor

I was told Jay Leno suffered 3rd degree burns to the left side of his face and will need skin grafts.  Fortunately, his eye and ear were not injured.  3rd degree burns are very serious; deep burns.  He will be hospitalized for about 10 days, I was told. 

Respected Contributor

Jay tells TMZ from his hospital bed ...  he was working on his 1907 White Steam Car in his famed garage this past Saturday, fixing a clogged fuel line. He says there was a fuel leak and gasoline sprayed on his face and hands. Almost simultaneously a spark triggered an explosion, setting the comedian on fire.

Jay Leno in garage with White Steamer

Jay says his quick-thinking buddy Dave was right there and jumped on him, quickly smothering the flames.

TMZ broke the story ... the left side of Jay's face was badly burned. His hands were burned as well. He says he's now dealing with 3rd-degree burns and may need skin grafts. As we reported, the burns did not damage his eyes or his ears.

Jay, who was rushed to a nearby burn center by ambulance, says he expects to be hospitalized for somewhere between 5 and 10 days.

This YouTube video was included in the TMZ article if anyone cares to watch....Dec 14, 2012

1907 White Steam Car, 30 Hp - Jay Leno's Garage

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
He said it was a gasoline fire, so no not an ev. Even human injuries always seen through a single lens by some around here.

"I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire,” read a statement from Leno. “I am OK. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”

@Greeneyedlady21   FTLOG-PLEASE STOP!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

He is being treated at the Grossman Burn Ctr, best in the country.