Trusted Contributor

Re: Jaqui Stafford is Going to the Queen's Funeral

@ECBG wrote:

"Two thousand seats"?  sounds like bleachers indeed.

Bleachers at Westminster Abbey?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

Westminster Abbey is very large, it can seat 2,000 people

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding stopping flights, the reason given was for silence. Specifically they are stopping Heathrow flights. They are not stopping flights from other London’s airports (nor other European airports.)

[There will be no aircraft movement for 30 minutes around noon on Monday to ensure skies over London remain quiet during the two-minute silence at the end of the funeral, Heathrow said.

"Operations to and from the airport will be subject to appropriate changes in order to avoid noise disruption at certain locations at specific times on Monday," a Heathrow spokesperson said in a statement.]

With regards to Jacqui, I saw an article about some random woman in Australia that was selected to attend the funeral - she was one of 10 “everyday” Australians invited. So, it’s not all famous dignitaries who are going. So, I guess I don’t know if she will be sitting in the cheap seats or standing outside, especially if she used the word “go” vs “invited” (although “invited” may sound a bit pretentious and she’s not like that.)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Maybe she didn't say invited because that would mean questions about how she was invited. I am wondering if Elton John is going to sing at her funeral like he did at Princess Diana's funeral.
Honored Contributor

If you have been the longest reigning monarch and one of the most significant in British history, I think if they stopped all traffic during the funeral who cares?

We are seeing a piece of history that will be remembered and discussed for centuries. She's outdone Victoria.

Respected Contributor

It's a beautiful church!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think they are carrying it too far at all. In the current world we  live in, the Queen's funeral couldn't be a more vulnerable time for the UK. I am sure security from every angle will be in place, and the air traffic being halted is probably for security in addition to silence for respect. I think it is a. smart move. I know Heathrow and Gatwick are at high security alert right now. BBC says the guest list has had to be thoughtfully pared down since "only" 2,000 seats are available. Dignitaries from around the world will be attending so am sure the invites were done quickly. I cana't imagine how overwhelming all of this has been for King Charles III. Then the days of mourning..and then planning for his coronation. It goes on and on. His life is forever changed..and so has Camilla's.

Respected Contributor

I noticed in the trip to Windsor Castle each of those marching alongside the hearse on one side were carrying firearms discreetly tucked under their arms and then behind their backs. No security stone left unturned. Wonderful to see such attention to detail. 

Honored Contributor

Did anyone spot Jacqui in the crowd at Westminster Abbey?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would bet she was invited to the main funeral service. There seemed to be a lot of mourners there.