Respected Contributor

Re: January's Birds Nest - Welcoming 2015 and Friends Old and New

Stepping Stone - glad to see you back. Hope you are here to stay!!!

FINALLY cleaned and filled the HUmmer feeders - dropped my big glass feeder - also the newest one I had - and broke it when trying to rehang it. Boo Hoo - those things are sure costly. So went to Home Depot as I had to buy a replacement shade for the carport that the wind had shredded and got another feeder. Hope I can hold on to it this time. Darn it anyway.

Do hope to get my ""renters"" outside today to start chopping up those small but long limbs cut from the tree the other day and put into the yard waste containers. I do not want to be fined by the City for having a fire hazard out there - and they are if left. Will take a few weeks to get rid of it all but it has to be done - still thinking about getting a larger bin to get it all out in a week but it will be a nightmare to get it all hauled out to the bin as it will be on the street and the limbs are way out back.

Hope all have a great day!!

Honored Contributor

Hi Stepping Stone - so good to see you post

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Bird for the weekend and end of month the California Condor. There's something about this birds face that I find endearing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Cattle egret

Hi Birding Friends, Just sitting here at the computer by the kitchen window and glanced out to see a Cattle Egret, above, running across one of the neighbor's roof. They are fun birds to watch and though I only saw the one, due to fences, there are probably more of them as they travel or feed in small flocks. They and the White Ibises are almost always running around the neighborhood yards, looking for little lizards and other foods. They even get on top of the bu**shes and shrubs looking for food.

There are also titmice at the feeder and I have been trying to let Frank, the cockatiel, hear the outside birds like the Titmouse and Carolina Wren, hoping he'll learn to make those calls too. Our cockatiel, Smokey, used to call Bandit, a dog, all the time. I am also trying to teach Frank to call the kitties.

I drove past the Osprey nesting area near the mall and the female is sitting on her nest atop the hacking pole platform. The male was on a light standard nearby eating fish. Lots of Black Vultures have been soaring around the area again. For a while I didn't see many of them. I did pass a Sandhill Crane, while driving home from Fresh Market. The silly thing was in the street near the curb, eating acorns, I think, from one of the Live Oak trees. It's really amazing to be able to get so close to one of those beautiful birds. I guess they've gotten used to cars. If I had stopped to take a photo of it, I think it would have moved further away.

Got a load of clothes to fold, and one waiting to go into the dryer, so I will say bye for now. Have a nice rest of your afternoon, Everyone.

Honored Contributor

I'd want to tell you a story...

Birdmama, I guess that's kind of what they mean by 'a face only a mother could love.' They aren't exactly beautiful in the normal sense of the word, but I bet they are graceful and beautiful to watch soaring over the mountains on the rising thermals.

The kitty above has, to me, one of the cutest expressions I think I've ever seen on a cat. Just love this photo. I can think of many 'sayings' to caption this kitty.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Am still watching the Great Horned Owl mama on her nest. I think it's close to 2 weeks or so. She's got the patience of Job.

Cattle Egrets and their nest. >>>>>

Cattle Egret parents admiring their brood!

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

I am really tired - so what's new? Geesh. Did a lot of grocery shopping and this time I surprised myself - went to the WM Super Store in Beaumont - I rarely shop there but noticed their grocery prices have dropped quite a bit. Course they are still way too high. LOL. At any rate got stuff for the Super Bowl game - can hardly wait. Speaking of that and digressing a bit, I went into shock when I heard on the news the AVERAGE price today of Super Bowl tickets - more than $3000 - sports are NO LONGER for the average person are they?I think I will no longer even watch those games after this year - yes, I fight my one man wars. It is horrible. We can no longer watch the LA Lakers or the Dodgers as they have contracts with ONE cable company and so I would never consider going with that company just to see my local teams - not right. I think it is WRONG. Should be able to see your own local teams on your own local TV. No more. At any rate as I was saying before I went into my railing, the stuff I bought for the game is food of course. Did make some potato salad today and LOADED it with onions - so not sure how much anyone else will eat but I will eat it for sure.

Did NOT fix dinner tonight - they were on ther own. Do have a lot of peanut better and jam on hand however. LOL.

Hope all had a great day and yes, I hope tomorrow to get out and fill the feeders again - only for Super Bowl however. Those birds are driving me crazy now.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor