Honored Contributor

Re: January's Birds Nest - Welcoming 2015 and Friends Old and New

“Shoulder Check” - Henrik Nilsson /National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

Hi Birding Friends. Kind of late getting back here.{#emotions_dlg.huh} Did get my hair cut and it feels so much better. It's naturally curly and I need some one who 'cares' to cut it, otherwise it gives me a fit. It does that anyway when it starts growing out. I need to get it cut about every 4 to 5 weeks, but seldom manage that. The 'bangs' were so long, I put tiny braids in them one night, just goofing around.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

I really understand the feelings of vulnerability and fear + the anger of having your home burglarized as it happened to Charlie and me many years back. I hated the thought that some lousy thug, broke in our back door and rummaged though our belongings and made a mess of our home. I never felt safe in that house again. Too bad we didn't have our Dobermans then, the tables would have been turned on those creeps.

That was long before we bought the house I still own. We got Brinks(then-- ADT now) to install a security system there and I had it upgraded last spring. Unfortunately it doesn't secure my carport where more thugs cut the steel cables I had securing my Honda push mower and stole it first, then came back and cut another cable and lock to steal my aluminum extension ladder. They tried to cut the lock on my John Deere, but my brother had put a hex lock on it and they couldn't, so far, cut that.

My next door neighbor was robbed about 18months ago, not sure of the time frame, at gunpoint. She came home from work and the jerk was in her house and beat her. She fought back and ran to our neighbors home, but dropped her car keys when she fell and the thug stole her car with her purse, checkbook, credit cards etc. The car was trashed when recovered. She finally got a good security system with ADT. She lives alone there, as I would if I stayed at that house, but I don't. Too much has happened there. I was struck by lightning there, the house was struck by lightning twice, the last time about 4 years back, the house caught on fire in 1984. Our neighborhood has changed so much since we bought the house in 1970, the year I was hit by lightning. I don't feel safe there now either, but it's not a good time to sell and I don't know what to do with all the things in there. I never used to lock the doors during the day, but now at both houses, the second I shut the door, I lock it. Same with our cars, though my brother's truck was broken into and cash that he had in his truck was taken, this past summer. Wish we could booby-trap things to 'fix' thieves, but some lawyer would come along and represent the criminal and we'd end up paying. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

I guess I have 'yakked' long enough about my fears and frustrations.

I am sorry you have had to go through this Winifred and hope things are ok for you now and that the fumes/smell leave the car and that it doesn't affect your COPD. Hoping Stripes is feeling better and that his wound is healing. Take care and get rest when you can. Keep warm and safe too.

Waving to all my Birding Friends, take good care and stay warm and safe too.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

It was pretty chilly here this morning, 8 above with a wind chill of 8 below. I stopped feeling bad about it when I heard about other parts of the country in sub zero temps BEFORE the wind chill.

I'm back to work, doo dah, doo dah {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

The bird of the day is the Chestnut Eared Aracari

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Cuban Bee Hummer

Honored Contributor

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Love all the pictures - Kachina - got a chuckle out of yours.

Another very cold morning BUT it got really warm for a while this morning. Winds picked up a bit late morning, and the shivers started. All in all, however, very nice. Tomorrow is suppose to be even better. Now for dinner? Have no clue but do have a big pizza in the freezer - bet that will work.

Filled the feeders late morning and within a couple minutes birdies were flitting all about. They sure moved in fast but were probably very hungry.

Stripes is getting his meds and has been in all nights since I took him to the Vet and I have let him out but he hangs pretty close. Did notice a while ago he was slowly walking across the street to that gutted house - Stinker!!! Hopefully will get him back with no problem. Only problem in that is the better he feels the more obstinate he will get - AGAIN. LOL.

Really hurt my back yesterday - have never done that but I am surviving. Not doing much exercising at Curves and went up this afternoon and only did a few excerses - only those that did not require any arm strength. At least I got some done.

Hope all had a great day!!!

Honored Contributor

The Carrollton Covered Bridge in Barbour County, is a splash of color on a winter day. The wooden bridge spans the Buckhannon River near Carrollton. It is the second longest and third oldest surviving covered bridge in the state, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Price includes double matting and shipping. Photo Copyright: West Virginia Department of Commerce.