Respected Contributor

Re: Jahi McMath Has Passed Away

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Such a sad story. I feel like the institution that charged her mother to keep here there since 2013 was unethical to take advantage of her grief for so long.

Thank goodness the ordeal is over for this dear child. About the cost for her care, I think Medicaid probably paid for it. 

I don't really have a strong opinion about whether or not it was ethical for the institution to take Jahi into care. There could have been a financial motive or it could have been they believed the family had the right to keep Jahi on life support. It could have been a combination of those and other reasons.

Trusted Contributor

Such a sad story indeed.  Just glad it's over for everyone concerned.  I don't think Medicaid would pay for the up keep for someone who was pronounced legally dead.

Esteemed Contributor

So...I wonder what was different between when she was declared dead in 2013 and when she was declared dead yesterday.  Were there machines involved the last 5 years, keeping her "alive"?  Why is she dead now when she wasn't then?  

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

So...I wonder what was different between when she was declared dead in 2013 and when she was declared dead yesterday.  Were there machines involved the last 5 years, keeping her "alive"?  Why is she dead now when she wasn't then?  

One of the Doctors claimed she was not 'brain dead' and that is when her Mother decided to keep her on life support. Her Mother was so dedicated to Jahi that she sold her home and moved to New Jersey to be with her daughter. Everyday she would bathe her and paint her nails and do her hair. Jahi responded with finger and toe movements.

Jahi underwent surgery to repair some stomach and kidney problems and did not survive the surgery and passed away. 

I hope the family and Jahi can finally find peace.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Of course this is sad but it also seems to be a massive form of denial.