Honored Contributor

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Died 25 Years Ago Today

[ Edited ]

May 19, 1994  - hard to believe it's been that long.

She was only 64 years old and died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  

I'll never forget JFK Jr. announcing her death.   When his plane crashed and he perished, many of Jackie's friends commented that it was for the best she wasn't around to know that.

She had beauty and wealth but also great tragedy in her life, watching her husband's head get blown off right in front of her.   And then losing good friend Bobby not too many years later.  

Born: July 28, 1929 
Died  May 19, 1994

images.jpg
Honored Contributor

Re: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Died 25 Years Ago Today

A polished and educated woman of much poise, refinement, taste and beauty.  The tragic loss of JFK altered who she was and would become, in my opinion.  

A woman who suffered much disappointment from the major men of her life (other than her son).  Father, first husband and second husband.  Not lucky in love.  Still, despite JFK's infidelities, I think she would take all the heartache because of all the charm he exuded and the prestige her gave her.  He must have been a vibrant companion.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

A polished and educated woman of much poise, refinement, taste and beauty.  The tragic loss of JFK altered who she was and would become, in my opinion.  

A woman who suffered much disappointment from the major men of her life (other than her son).  Father, first husband and second husband.  Not lucky in love.  Still, despite JFK's infidelities, I think she would take all the heartache because of all the charm he exuded and the prestige her gave her.  He must have been a vibrant companion.

@golding76   I don't think it was being unlucky.   According to several biographers, her mother urged Jackie and sister Lee to marry for weath.  Which they did (although I truly think Jackie loved JFK and not Onassis).  Other considerations - $$$$$ - were more important than some things women would put at more important considerations (like fidelity).

Honored Contributor

I agree about her not really loving Onassis.  However, I recall reading that Onassis noted upon meeting her that she had something "carnal" about her (as though that's a sin).  Thank heavens she did or she could not have held JFK's interest as well as she did.  Of course, her scintillating intellect fascinated him, too, I am certain.

Marrying for money; you get what you pay for (can that be applied in this instance?).  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

I agree about her not really loving Onassis.  However, I recall reading that Onassis noted upon meeting her that she had something "carnal" about her (as though that's a sin).  Thank heavens she did or she could not have held JFK's interest as well as she did.  Of course, her scintillating intellect fascinated him, too, I am certain.

Marrying for money; you get what you pay for (can that be applied in this instance?).  LOL

@golding76   Onassis offered her more than money, which was safety.  I read she wanted to get out of the USA after Bobby's assassination too, fearing for the lives of her children (i.e. she said "they are killing Kennedys).   Onassis could afford great security, and she did spend some of the year (the parts where the kids weren't in school) outside the USA.   I think she married him for that and his money.

And he never gave up Maria Callas, so he was also a philanderer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I remember that, too.  Her famous quote was "America is in the business of killing Kennedys and we are getting out of here" (or something of that nature). 

The island of Skorpios was inaccessible to assassins. 

Regular Contributor

Now they are all gone except Ethyl & Jean Kennedy, the youngest of JFK's sisters. Time flies. 

Yes, the Bouvier sisters were raised by their mother to marry for $$$. How do I know? Read all the books on this family. 

Honored Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

Now they are all gone except Ethyl & Jean Kennedy, the youngest of JFK's sisters. Time flies. 

Yes, the Bouvier sisters were raised by their mother to marry for $$$. How do I know? Read all the books on this family. 

@bluehost   Wish my mother would have raised me like that!   LOL!

Honored Contributor

After Onassis suffered a series of personal disasters, including the death of his only son, Alexander, in a helicopter crash, he began to loathe Jackie.  I am sure you know all this.

At first he was put off by her exorbitant spending, but then, when he suffered financial and personal disasters, he began calling her the Greek word for "witch" and avoided her. 

When JFK, Jr., perished in an airplane accident, the superstitious part of me wondered if Onassis had placed a curse on Jackie, hoping she would suffer his same agonizing fate.  I know, dark stuff, but I have wondered about that.  As I wrote, he blamed her for all his misfortune.

Honored Contributor

God was merciful taking her  before John Jr. I don't know how she would have ever been able to cope with that.

Her life was full at the end ,with Mr Tempelton (?) He was a wonderful companion for her