Esteemed Contributor

Re: JULIAN LENNON WINS 2021 WORLD LITERACY AWARD

[ Edited ]

Julian Lennon is a songwriter, children's book author, and philanthropist based in New York. 

Today, he is recognized for his work in children's literature and the founding of the White Feather Foundation

The award will be presented to Mr Lennon at the World Literacy Award 2021 event in London, United Kingdom, hosted by the World Literacy Foundation and with 5,300 attendees from 52 countries who joined the online ceremony.

Through his children's books, his advocacy for reading and work of the White Feather Foundation, the 16 judges deemed Lennon as having demonstrated exceptional and sustained depth in commitment to the advancement of literacy. 

"It's an amazing honor to receive this award and the global acknowledgement of the work in education and my Foundation, as we increase access to education and literacy for all. I've seen first-hand the inequalities of education around the world and an Aboriginal gift of a white feather inspired me to step-up and make a difference," said Julian Lennon.

Julian Lennon's Foundation promotes and supports education, health and indigenous cultures throughout the world including Kenya, Ethiopia and Colombia. Julian Lennon has written 11 books including the White Feather Flier Series for children. Amongst his work to Improve global literacy standards, Lennon set up a scholarship program in his mother, Cynthia Lennon's, memory giving 40 scholarships to girls in Kenya. 

eta source: Business Insider 9/7/2021 8:00am

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal   What is your source if that info? It should be attributed to whose it is.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Singer songwriter Julian Lennon honoured with world literacy award

The New York Times bestselling author was commended for commitment to the advancement of literacy.  Singer and songwriter Julian Lennon is being honoured for his outstanding contribution to literacy. 

In an online ceremony this Wednesday marking International Literacy Day, he will be presented with the award by the World Literacy Foundation in recognition of his work in promoting education.

“With support from The World Literacy Foundation, children’s lives are transformed, creating a positive ripple effect worldwide” said the 58-year-old, “I am deeply grateful to be affiliated with this organization and for the acknowledgement of my work with The White Feather Foundation as a recipient of this year’s World Literacy Awards.”...

inews.co.uk 9/8/2021

Lennon has pursued a varied career encompassing music, film, photography and writing.

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations to him! Always a good thing to promote literacy and reading.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@qbetzforreal   What is your source if that info? It should be attributed to whose it is.

The last sentence mentioned the source as Business Insider. It was probably overlooked since it couldn't be posted as link. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Julian Lennon, son of Beatle John and his 1st wife Cynthia, has won the 2021 World Literacy Award presented by the World Literacy Foundation for the Julian Lennon World Literacy Foundation's outstanding  contribution to literacy.  The World Foundation commented that Julian's mother and father would be very proud of him (as would Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds 😄). 

Source: FB

@Witchy Woman  @GrailSeeker 

Actually, it wasn't for the Julian Lennon World Literacy Foundation.  It was for the White Feather Foundation.  It was presented by the World Literacy Foundation.  

This is what Julian Lennon said about it, quoted from inews.co.uk:  “With support from The World Literacy Foundation, children’s lives are transformed, creating a positive ripple effect worldwide” said the 58-year-old, “I am deeply grateful to be affiliated with this organization and for the acknowledgement of my work with The White Feather Foundation as a recipient of this year’s World Literacy Awards.”

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't know anything about the John Lennon World Literacy Foundation but this sounds like a set up. 

@Kachina624   It wasn't the John Lennon World LIteracy Foundation.  See my post #26.  It's just the World Literacy Foundation, no affiliation to John or Julian, that presented the award to Julian.  It was for the White Feather Foundation.  

According to musicforrelief dot org, 

The White Feather Foundation – headed by Julian Lennon with a goal to address environmental and humanitarian issues and in conjunction with partners from around the world helps raise funds for the betterment of all life. The White Feather Foundation has been recognised by Prince Albert II of Monaco who honoured the Foundation with the ‘Better World Environmental Award’ in 2008.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau