Esteemed Contributor

Re: JIMMY KIMMEL AS HOST OF OSCARS?

[ Edited ]

When one is giving their viewpoint about a social injustice, one wants to do that in front of  as large an audience as possible to get the words out as far as possible.

Where would the civil rights be if MLK, Jr. had given his "I have a dream" speech ina townhall, instead of Washington D.C.

I suppose he should have shut-up, too, and done it in front of a smaller audience also.

Super Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

When one is giving their viewpoint about a social injustice, one wants to do that in front of  as large an audience as possible to get the words out as far as possible.

Where would the civil rights be if MLK, Jr. had given his "I have a dream" speech ina townhall, instead of Washington D.C.

I suppose he should have shut-up, too, and done it in front of a smaller audience also.

That's a little different PP2 but I give you an A for effort just because I likes ya.  

Respected Contributor

An awards show isn't the venue to speak out against social injustice. 

An award show is about movies and entertainment. 

That's my feeling...

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Just because they are famous, doesn't make their opinion any less important than anyone elses.

And if they see what they feel is an injustice happening, then they have the right to speak out about it, just like everyone else has the right to speak out when they see a social injustice.

Yes they have a right to speak out...but in appropriate situations.  In my view, it is very bad form to take advantage of a "captive audience" to spout your own ideas that have nothing to do with what you are gathered for.  I don't care which side of the fence it is...it is bad manners.

@alicedee

It's not a captive audience.  All you have to do is change the channel, no one forced any of us to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The people from the tour bus seemed to enjoy themselves and meeting the celebs, I know that I would have!

Celebrities have just as much right as everybody else to have an opinion about what is going on in the world.

Just because they are famous, doesn't make their opinion any less important than anyone elses.

And if they see what they feel is an injustice happening, then they have the right to speak out about it, just like everyone else has the right to speak out when they see a social injustice.

@Plaid Pants2- but, their opinion is not more important either...they are entitled people, very rich  and can not speak for the hard working people nor retirees getting a $5 C0LA.  They are actors and thrive on attention and pretending to be someone else; that's what they do.  Do you really think they care?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The people from the tour bus seemed to enjoy themselves and meeting the celebs, I know that I would have!

Celebrities have just as much right as everybody else to have an opinion about what is going on in the world.

@Plaid Pants2- but, their opinion is not more important either...they are entitled people, very rich  and can not speak for the hard working people nor retirees getting a $5 C0LA.  They are actors and thrive on attention and pretending to be someone else; that's what they do.  Do you really think they care?  

So, just because they are rich and famous, that means that they don't have a heart, a mind, a conscience?

That's an awfully big assumption to make about EVERYONE in the movie industry.

What about when actors spoke out against the injustices during the McCarthy era?

Were they right, or wrong to do that?

Honored Contributor

I thought he was the best I've experienced in a very long time.  Sheesh, I remember Bob Hope and Johnny Carson as the hosts of the Oscars -- both masters -- and so I am not easy to please.  Of course, there will never again be hosts of their calibre (I'd love to be proved wrong, but there are different sensibilities now, for different times, I guess).

Honored Contributor

@Perkup. My objection & reason I don't watch is the speeches that go on forever!!! Who even knows all these people named by first names: "I have to thank Bill, Dave, Rob, Sally.......". Huh? Thank your parents if you'd like, the Academy, the music plays, then off you go. Maybe then the show would meet its allotted time slot.

This time I'm happy I recorded it just to see the mishap at the end. 

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yes they have a right to speak out...but in appropriate situations.  In my view, it is very bad form to take advantage of a "captive audience" to spout your own ideas that have nothing to do with what you are gathered for.  I don't care which side of the fence it is...it is bad manners.

@alicedee

It's not a captive audience.  All you have to do is change the channel, no one forced any of us to watch.

But we would end up changing the channel after the fact.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2......not on stage at on awards show. That's not the forum to express your personal opinion on politics.