Respected Contributor

Re: JFK Jr. Died July 16, 1999

This was such a shame.....who knows what would have happened if he had lived. In a political sense as well as every other.

Valued Contributor

On 7/17/2014 chickenbutt said:

Man, I just can barely believe this was 15 years ago. If you were to ask me I would estimate it was maybe 10 years ago. Wow - time flies when you're gettin' old!

Definitely agree he was a major hottie. He was my exact physical type - tall or at least not short, dark hair, dark eyes, slender build but not scrawny - kind of like John Stamos, Benjamin Bratt, Mario Lopez, etc.

Anyway, RIP to the three of them. It's kind of late to chastise the mistakes that were made. They've been acknowledged and are unfortunate. I cannot imagine how it was for the girls' family. Another tragedy for the K family.

I agree, CB, and who of us has not made a judgement call we wished we could change.

Esteemed Contributor

We were also on vacation - Cooperstown, NY watching George Brett's induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I told the family to go ahead, as I wanted to sit in the hotel and watch the news. So sad. The Kennedys have had their share of tragedy.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I don't personally think he had the political 'bug' the others seemed to have had and sort of doubt he'd have taken his life in that direction... A very sad thing to happen, but largely the result of some combination of impetuousness and arrogance... Very sad too for his in-laws, who lost two daughters.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I remember feeling so badly for Carolyn's family who lost two daughters, one being a twin of the surviving daughter. When they buried them all at sea, I said to my husband, I wonder if they will regret this someday when there is no grave to visit or pay their respects. That is a decision that cannot be reversed. I believe that JFK Jr requested a burial at sea but I doubt the girls did. I always wondered how the parents felt about it years later.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 colliegirls said:

I remember feeling so badly for Carolyn's family who lost two daughters, one being a twin of the surviving daughter. When they buried them all at sea, I said to my husband, I wonder if they will regret this someday when there is no grave to visit or pay their respects. That is a decision that cannot be reversed. I believe that JFK Jr requested a burial at sea but I doubt the girls did. I always wondered how the parents felt about it years later.

I agree. Clearly it was their choice, but I always wondered what they were thinking and how that decision was reached...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I remember how beautiful Carolyn was. Pure simplistic beauty.

Why John decided to fly that night...only he knew the answer to that.

Honored Contributor

No point in reading tea leaves, we don't know what the future had in store for any of the THREE people who died so needlessly that day. I think what a total waste of three young lives. A newly licensed, inexperience pilot with a broken leg, ignores his instructors advice and decides to fly solo. It was a tragedy born out of hubris.

Respected Contributor

On 7/20/2014 stevieb said:

I agree. Clearly it was their choice, but I always wondered what they were thinking and how that decision was reached...

I understand it. They didn't want gawkers. Any grave that John was in would be subject to a lot of attention.

Having the burial at sea was probably more private,in a way. As young as they all were, they probably didn't have pre- arrangements for this made. Being that it was so traumatic for everyone involved, it was most likely the best decision for them.

Imo, you don't need a physical grave, because the person is not there, anyway. You carry their spirit in your heart. I've heard Caroline speak of this before, and it sounds like she feels that way, too. Apparently Carolyn and Lauren' s parents were in agreement with this burial as well.

Jmo.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 7/20/2014 stevieb said:

I understand it. They didn't want gawkers. Any grave that John was in would be subject to a lot of attention.

Having the burial at sea was probably more private,in a way. As young as they all were, they probably didn't have pre- arrangements for this made. Being that it was so traumatic for everyone involved, it was most likely the best decision for them.

Imo, you don't need a physical grave, because the person is not there, anyway. You carry their spirit in your heart. I've heard Caroline speak of this before, and it sounds like she feels that way, too. Apparently Carolyn and Lauren' s parents were in agreement with this burial as well.

Jmo.

After such a sudden and untimely death, no one is thinking clearly. John Jr's parent's graves are in a very public place. Carolyn's parents went along with what John wanted ( I remember reading that he wanted a burial at sea when he died). Its important for some parents to have a grave to attend to ( and the other daughter had a twin). I will have to Google and see if there are any articles about how they felt years later about burying them at sea. Many feelings or regrets change as time goes on.