Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Businesses are challenged to find workers....

Employers are hiring aggressively but still can't find enough cooks, drivers or waiters at a time when millions of Americans remained unemployed. This tension is especially felt by small businesses.  NPR July 1, 2021

Enhanced unemployment checks do not spur unemployed to go back to work

@phoenixbrd   Agree but let us not forget all the small businesses (mom and pop if you will) that went out of business and will never come back.

I agree it is time for folks to return to work; I had no problem with UE extensions since many people fell behind before the supplemental $$ arrived. 

UE should never be a way of life; but on the other side of the coin we see people expecting to be paid $25 to flip a burger.

There has to be a balance.  Those low service jobs used to be for students, seniors, and moms looking for "pin money".  They were always part-time jobs and never meant to be full time career positions except for those who wanted to work up to management.

I also agree that some expect these checks to go on forever but I also feel most people want to earn their way.

The system is wobbling right now like a four-legged table that lost one leg.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I would imagine Amazon added many unskilled warehouse workers and delivery drivers during the pandemic.  I know I had never ordered from Amazon before that.  I think that may be where the missing unskilled restaurant workers are (dishwashers, etc).   

Frequent Contributor
How about that money going to help a cure for cancer? Feeding the hungry.
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Everywhere firms are hiring, some like those that employ welders, truck drivers, electricians, plumbers...offer paid training that will result in being licensed and membership in their unions. These occupations provide six figure incomes.

Some of these are apprenticeships and are regulated by some states.  I believe there are far too few in my state.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Melbalee @

Bezos has provided jobs to people, many unskilled. 

His company has allowed people who wished to avoid the risk of going out to order food and supplies online.

His planes transported vaccine.

Cancer research uses animals that are locked in cages in laboratories throughout the world, perhaps he wants no part of that, I surely don't.

Trusted Contributor

From what I understand, those Amazon warehouses are so big employees cannot get to the restrooms and break rooms in a timely manner.  You would think that Bezos would provide shuttles to make it easier.  Also, don't know what their lunch or dinner breaks are like, if Bezos provides a cafeteria and gives the employees an hour.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Everywhere firms are hiring, some like those that employ welders, truck drivers, electricians, plumbers...offer paid training that will result in being licensed and membership in their unions. These occupations provide six figure incomes.

Many of these employers that are having a hard time recruiting are not good employers.  Job seekers are not dumb, though some are desperate. For example, I would like to share about this news piece I read yesterday about the hotel industry.  This industry is barely starting to recover, as there is barely any international travel, and national travel is still depressed.  But they are not recalling their workers to fill their current needs.  They are reducing services, using covid as an excuse.  For example, daily housekeeping services are now optional, so housekeeping may be done at the end of a 4-day stay, instead of every day.  That means the housekeepers have to take out 4 days of trash, etc.  And they are supposed to do it in the same amount of time they would clean one day's worth of dirt.  So these employers don't want to re-hire their "spoiled" former workers.  They are looking for workers that will work harder for the same money.  And then they say they can't find people to fill these positions.  Shameful.

I don't know anywhere where jobs for welders, electricians, plumbers with paid training are going begging.  The construction industry has been affected by supply chain issues and has left many unemployed.

@RainyDayGal 

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Many of these employers that are having a hard time recruiting are not good employers.  Job seekers are not dumb, though some are desperate. For example, I would like to share about this news piece I read yesterday about the hotel industry.  This industry is barely starting to recover, as there is barely any international travel, and national travel is still depressed.  But they are not recalling their workers to fill their current needs.  They are reducing services, using covid as an excuse.  For example, daily housekeeping services are now optional, so housekeeping may be done at the end of a 4-day stay, instead of every day.  That means the housekeepers have to take out 4 days of trash, etc.  And they are supposed to do it in the same amount of time they would clean one day's worth of dirt.  So these employers don't want to re-hire their "spoiled" former workers.  They are looking for workers that will work harder for the same money.  And then they say they can't find people to fill these positions.  Shameful.

I don't know anywhere where jobs for welders, electricians, plumbers with paid training are going begging.  The construction industry has been affected by supply chain issues and has left many unemployed.

@RainyDayGal 

First I will have to disagree with your statement that the employees that are having a hard time getting applicants are bad employeers.  This is currently a problem across the board and at all levels.

Second the hardest industries hit were the hotel and restaurants.  They cannot suddenly just flip a switch and go back to business as usual.  They are still trying to recover from a years worth of losses.  So yes, things may be different for awhile.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@12andcounting   Agree.....disfunctionality clearly evident when we can't support our homeless Vets and how many millons are we (the tax payers) spending on hotel rooms for others, yet, our Vets/homeless remain on the streets. 

@phoenixbrd   So very true.  And so sickening.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@12andcounting   Agree.....disfunctionality clearly evident when we can't support our homeless Vets and how many millons are we (the tax payers) spending on hotel rooms for others, yet, our Vets/homeless remain on the streets. 

@phoenixbrd& @12andcounting, I don't know about where live, but her in California we are desperately trying to help ALL of the homeless, veterans and others.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland