Honored Contributor

Anderson Cooper did a great interview with him and his brother this evening if anyone is interested.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne I'll suffer through AC to listen to the interview...JB is an interesting individual.  Thanks for the heads up.

Respected Contributor

I was surprised that no one posted on here about today's Blue Origin flight.  I think it's amazing that 82 year old Wally Funk finally made it into space!  It looks like a new generation of space exploration is being born.

Honored Contributor

I'm frankly tired of the media fawning over Bezos, Branson and the rest. I could not care less, and I'll bet I'm not alone. 😴

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I watched the launch and very brief ride of a lifetime and had mixed feelings about it.  On one hand I thought it was exciting and great and pleased that all went according to plan.

On the other hand I wondered what the purpose of this was?  Other than he could afford to do this.  He is employing lots of people.  He is obviously a smart guy, a self-made titan of industry much like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller or Henry Ford.

But does this further pollute our atmosphere?  Are millionaires now going to be joy-riding in rockets other than their private jets?  I don't know enough about it, but I guess you cant stop progress.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN It is small steps.  If our planet becomes uninhabitable in the future for whatever reason, this could be a start to keeping mankind going.  It may not affect us personally, but possibly for future generations.

Super Contributor

I liked and agreed with Stephen Colbert's take on the me, me, me, it's all about me attitude of the non tax paying billionaire. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

This looked like a glorified amusement park ride.

It's "space tourism." Sounds like fun for billionaires and millionaires.

Wally Funk wants to go up again.  I hope she realizes she'll have to pay for it next time.

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I watched the launch and very brief ride of a lifetime and had mixed feelings about it.  On one hand I thought it was exciting and great and pleased that all went according to plan.

On the other hand I wondered what the purpose of this was?  Other than he could afford to do this.  He is employing lots of people.  He is obviously a smart guy, a self-made titan of industry much like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller or Henry Ford.

But does this further pollute our atmosphere?  Are millionaires now going to be joy-riding in rockets other than their private jets?  I don't know enough about it, but I guess you cant stop progress.

Excellent post and I'm still stinging from the thousands of jobs lost in TX and the push for no fossil fuels whatsoever.  Cat Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

I  too have mixed feelings about it.....