Esteemed Contributor

Re: JEFF BEZOS: The World's Richest Man

I've read the Washington Post since I was five.  Was so glad when they went digital and, yes, I subscribe to Post and also NYT digitally.  I want to read the so called "take news", and my go to first read is the opinion pages of both papers.  Right now BUT has a fifty percent off digital subscriptions for first year (then I'll look for another discount).

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@garmer wrote:

Bill Gates is back on top.

THAT FAST?  @garmer

Woman Surprised

Man, those billions must be rolling in!

Lol, they wish ! The stock market closed. The worth of Microsoft stock vs. the worth of Amazon stock, at that very moment in time, is what put Gates ahead.

Both men have done incredibly well for themselves.

Gotta love this country. 

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I've read the Washington Post since I was five.  Was so glad when they went digital and, yes, I subscribe to Post and also NYT digitally.  I want to read the so called "take news", and my go to first read is the opinion pages of both papers.  Right now BUT has a fifty percent off digital subscriptions for first year (then I'll look for another discount).

@patbz

I used to love the WaPo, I'm going to look into how much a digital subscription is.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

CNBC reported this morning that Bezos is just a smidgen (in his terms, I suppose) away from becoming the richest man in history.  

Hi @IamMrsG

Did they say who was the richest man in history?  Fascinating.

@Noel7  No, they did not, but your question was interesting enough to make me Google it.  

From Wikipedia:  Mansa Musa, or Musa I of Mali is considered to be the richest man to ever walk the face of the Earth with his wealth at $400 billion (at the time of his death in 1331). Musa was the tenth emperor of the Mali Empire that developed along the Saharan slave trade routes in the later medieval period. Mansa Musa made his fortune by exploiting his country’s salt and gold production.

Musa is said to have brought several tonnes of gold to Mecca when he made a pilgrimage there in 1324. Reported as being inconceivably rich by contemporaries, "There’s really no way to put an accurate number on his wealth."

John D. Rockefeller is considered the wealthiest in modern history:

"On September 29, 1916, Rockefeller became the first person ever to reach a nominal personal fortune of US$1 billion. Rockefeller amassed his fortune from the Standard Oil company, of which he was a founder, chairman and major shareholder. By the time of his death in 1937, estimates place his net worth in the range of US$300 billion to US$400 billion in adjusted dollars for the late 2000s (decade). When considering the real value of his wealth, Rockefeller is widely held to have been the wealthiest American, as well as the richest person in modern history."

THANKS SO MUCH!  @IamMrsG

Fascinating! I wonder what happened to Mansa Musa's fortune?  I've never heard of him before, something to look into.

I never thought about how rich Rockefeller was before, $400 billion is really something.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What would happen if everyone stopped buying from Amazon?

He starts his workers at $13.25 with benefits from day 1, you can advance to $14.50 an hour.  You must make your numbers, my customer told me he's 40 and there was no way he could make those numbers so they fired him.

It's a great job for a young person who's quick on the computer and moves fast, once you get older, it's not for you.  That's at least what I was told. Never applied.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

What would happen if everyone stopped buying from Amazon?

He starts his workers at $13.25 with benefits from day 1, you can advance to $14.50 an hour.  You must make your numbers, my customer told me he's 40 and there was no way he could make those numbers so they fired him.

It's a great job for a young person who's quick on the computer and moves fast, once you get older, it's not for you.  That's at least what I was told. Never applied.

We'll probably never know @Just Bling

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i was listening to the financial report on the radio today.

TODAY he may NOT be the worlds richest man.....amazon took a bit of a  hit on wall street today.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is once again the world’s second richest person, after a brief stint earlier today as the wealthiest individual on Earth. Amazon reported its second quarter earnings today, showing a profit of just $197 million on strong sales of $38 billion. The dip in profit, a drop of 77 percent from $857 million this time a year ago, is mainly due to Amazon’s aggressive investments in its own business.

(via THE VERGE and other news and business sources after the closing bell.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

How.......lovely. 

Honored Contributor

Good for him.  The American way.....

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

How.......lovely. 

Woman LOL

@SahmIam