Respected Contributor

J. C. Penney Is Closing 33 Stores

Well...this is not unexpected, but Penney is closing 33 stores (2000 people out of work). The store in our town is closing along with the store 60 miles away. Let's see...that leaves us with Kohls, Wal-Mart, and Shopko in our little town. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Re: J. C. Penney Is Closing 33 Stores

"These actions are expected to result in an annual cost savings of approximately $65 million, beginning in 2014," the company says in a press release issued after the close of the stock market.

CEO Myron E. Ullman said in the release: "While it's always difficult to make a business decision that impacts our valued customers and associates, this important step addresses a strategic priority to improve the profitability of our stores and position JCPenney for future success."

USA Today

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Hopefully, this will help JCPenney in the long run. We were pretty much expecting this. Our store didn't even have a home department. I'm really surprised about the bigger store though down South of us. Guess the stores have to do whatever it takes to survive.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I haven't shopped in JC Penny's in about a year. I wish this economy was better...too many stores closing and people being laid off.

Honored Contributor

There's a large JC Penney store a few miles away. I haven't seen it doing good business in years... yet, they opened a much smaller one not long ago in a different location.

The newer one seems geared to a younger crowd with not as much in the way of home goods. Maybe they're changing demographics.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 kittykatkay said:

I haven't shopped in JC Penny's in about a year. I wish this economy was better...too many stores closing and people being laid off.

This doesn't seem to be about the economy. The same thing came up a few days ago with Macy's and wasn't about the economy, either.

Respected Contributor

Online shopping is taking a lot of the business. I know with the limited shopping we have here, I do almost all of my shopping online. A couple times a year I run over to visit friends in the Twin Cities where I used to live and do some shopping there.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 Brinklii said:

Online shopping is taking a lot of the business. I know with the limited shopping we have here, I do almost all of my shopping online. A couple times a year I run over to visit friends in the Twin Cities where I used to live and do some shopping there.

Definitely! I did most of my Christmas shopping with Amazon and picked two presents for my wish list from QVC which my husband snapped up for me.

We routinely use Amazon, year round.

Respected Contributor

On 1/15/2014 NoelSeven said:

Definitely! I did most of my Christmas shopping with Amazon and picked two presents for my wish list from QVC which my husband snapped up for me.

I use Amazon all the time too...have the prime membership. It is well worth it. I bet you loved what your husband bought you for Christmas! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 NoelSeven said:

I use Amazon all the time too...have the prime membership. It is well worth it. I bet you loved what your husband bought you for Christmas! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Prime is so worth it! Target stopped carrying my favorite cereal so I ordered 8 boxes of it by way of Prime {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Loved the Christmas gifts, which he also adds to on his own, but the handbag and watch were real winners, LOL.