Contributor

Re: J. C. Penney Is Closing 33 Stores

We have a teeny tiny JCP and I'm really surprised it's not on the list of closures. We have to go 25 miles to shop in a Kohls, Sears, Old Navy, etc. It's 100 miles to the nearest Macy's, Belk's, Talbots, etc. That's why I do some shopping on QVC.
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 terrier2 said:
On 1/16/2014 chickenbutt said:

As commercials go, I have to say that I totally LOVE the 'Jake from State Farm' one. Granted, it's kind of silly but it gets your attention. Some annoying commercials get your attention but you have no idea what it was about because you just automatically turn off after a while. So, when they say they are effective because people talk about them - I don't think so, so much, because people just talk about what's icky about them and not what they are advertising.

With those 'Jake from State Farm' commercials you know every second what they are advertising and they bring home that you can get help from them any time. Plus, it's kind of funny. The wife - 'She sounds HIDEOUS'. HA!

I like that one too!

You know, I smile every time I see that commercial. But, for me, I really noticed right away that it was brilliantly done in that you will never forget, or not realize, EXACTLY what it's about during every single second of the ad.

The wife (another line) - 'So, what are you wearing - JAKE FROM STATE FARM?' hehe - so funny

ETA - here it is, in case anybody hasn't seen it. It's only 24 seconds...24 seconds of brilliance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72JuJY3vweI

Respected Contributor

I've never had much luck finding anything I wanted in that store. Last time I went to the one in Trumbull, CT, the jeans were in piles on a table, separated by sizes. Come on.

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 1/16/2014 chickenbutt said:

As commercials go, I have to say that I totally LOVE the 'Jake from State Farm' one. Granted, it's kind of silly but it gets your attention. Some annoying commercials get your attention but you have no idea what it was about because you just automatically turn off after a while. So, when they say they are effective because people talk about them - I don't think so, so much, because people just talk about what's icky about them and not what they are advertising.

With those 'Jake from State Farm' commercials you know every second what they are advertising and they bring home that you can get help from them any time. Plus, it's kind of funny. The wife - 'She sounds HIDEOUS'. HA!

I love the AT & T commercials with the guy and the school kids.

I love those.

I also love the State Farm one where the baby is in the stroller and asking if anyone else finds it strange that the mime is talking. Freeeeaakkky. That cracks me up.

Honored Contributor

Penney's in Delaware got saved, Maryland (Saulsbury) mall got the axe.

Regular Contributor

Wonder why Wisconsin got hit the hardest, 5 stores. Guess our economy does not jibe with Walker's claims. What a fool.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2014 cabbi said:

Wonder why Wisconsin got hit the hardest, 5 stores. Guess our economy does not jibe with Walker's claims. What a fool.

HE isn't the fool here. JCP has been in trouble for years. To say that a major retail chain that has been having problems for years decides to close the doors on various stores all over the country, including some in the state of Wisconsin, and that it's Walker's fault, is absurd and economically ignorant. JCP did this to themselves when they replaced their marketing V P and merchandising strategist. When they finally got a clue and changed back, the damage was already too severe to weather without downsizing it's retail structure.

So, the people of Wisconsin decide to shop at locations other than JCP, and that's Walker's fault too? Good grief! Hello........ECON 101.

-HIF

Super Contributor

It would be terribly sad to lose another American icon. I have shopped JCP for over 55 years. I hated to see Sears go down this path too.
Super Contributor

Our JCP isn't closing.