Honored Contributor

Re: Italy has quarantined up to 16 million people

(Bloomberg) -- An Iranian lawmaker died from the new coronavirus, the first member of parliament to succumb to the disease, as the government reported another surge in infections.

Fatemeh Rahbar, 55, went into a coma on Thursday and never recovered, the Islamic Republic News Agency said.

Rahbar, just elected in February, is the nation’s seventh political figure to die from Covid-19 as Iran fights to contain its spread.

Iran is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East, and the country now has the most infections after China and South Korea, led by 1,539 cases in Tehran’s province. At least 23 Iranian legislators have tested positive for the infection.

Iran’s local schools and universities are closed, major cultural and sporting events were suspended and nationwide working hours have been reduced to slow the contagion, which has spread to all 31 Iranian provinces.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I just read more cases have been reported in South Carolina.  Two (one in Charleston County and one in Spartanburg County) had recently returned from Italy.  

2 of the 4 new cases had direct contact with an elderly woman who has been previously confirmed, so they are saying they have evidence of community spread in Camden (Kershaw County).

This brings South Carolina's totals to 6 presumptive positive cases.

Honored Contributor

I saw this morning that the CDC May recommend quarantine for certain sections of the US where the highest concentration of the virus is. No details.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Dd you read, or do you have reason why Italy epidemic is so large..  wondering. My granddaughters bestie and her husband just had to cancel their delayed honeymoon to Italy.  The hotel and travel agent cancelled trip first. I feel so bad for them.  But what can you do.  It's unavoidable.  They were married  a year ago and had a KNOT honeymoon fund.  They had picked Italy.  They were gifted with most of the trip, but they saved for a year for the balance and spending money.  They booked in January for June.  They called them to cancel third week in February

Esteemed Contributor

How would that even work? What about food? And dog and cat food?

I guess I will place an order from Chewy tomorrow and go to wal mart and stock up on food and supplies.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Dd you read, or do you have reason why Italy epidemic is so large..  wondering. My granddaughters bestie and her husband just had to cancel their delayed honeymoon to Italy.  The hotel and travel agent cancelled trip first. I feel so bad for them.  But what can you do.  It's unavoidable.  They were married  a year ago and had a KNOT honeymoon fund.  They had picked Italy.  They were gifted with most of the trip, but they saved for a year for the balance and spending money.  They booked in January for June.  They called them to cancel third week in February

@shoekitty, I'll admit that I didn't read the articles that carefully. I do know that that region has been hit very hard.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have to admit I made fun of my sister for stocking up on supplies but if we start getting quarantined in areas of the U.S., she'll have the last laugh. Her area has been hit by the virus though, so I am sure they are feeling it more. My guess is people in non-affected areas are not quite as worried and have the luxury of mocking those in areas with an outbreak.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@shoekitty 

Unlike the U.S. and most of Europe that has been railing against China's "unfair business practices", Italy has taken a different approach by cozying up to the Chinese.  China has been buying up small Italian companies and integrating themselves into Italian businesses. One only has to assume that this would entail a lot of personal contact by various Chinese people within the country of Italy.  One of the hardest hit areas of Italy has been Milan, considered the financial "capitol", much like our New York City is here.  

Just one part of the equation of perhaps why they got hit harder than other parts of Europe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Missouri's first case involves a college student who recently returned from studying in Italy.

In Wash DC, the first confirmed case is the rector of a church in Georgetown.  

An attendee at a political action conference held in Maryland in Feb. tested positive.  The event was attended by our Prez and VP.  

The saga continues.........now involves at least 30 states.

The U.S. Surgeon General said the average age of death from the corona virus is 80, while for those needing medical attention, the average age is 60.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@shoekitty 

Unlike the U.S. and most of Europe that has been railing against China's "unfair business practices", Italy has taken a different approach by cozying up to the Chinese.  China has been buying up small Italian companies and integrating themselves into Italian businesses. One only has to assume that this would entail a lot of personal contact by various Chinese people within the country of Italy.  One of the hardest hit areas of Italy has been Milan, considered the financial "capitol", much like our New York City is here.  

Just one part of the equation of perhaps why they got hit harder than other parts of Europe.

It's also due to the deplorable Italian sweatshops staffed by human traffiking victims from China who have to live and work in subhuman conditions to create luxury goods with the Made in Italy label on them. We can't blame the victims here if they caught the disease from their highly mobile management. We can only blame China's totalitarian government and the organized crime "entrepreneurs" who make their money in such a disgraceful way--and to some extent all the brand names that don't do due diligence in keeping their supply chains clean, humane, and honest.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr